PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Control Arm Valve Assy Slack

11SecAvanti
05-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Is the power steering control arm valve assembly rebuildable? I am getting a good 1 inch of play in the ball stud to ball bushing area. This creates a good 3-4 plus steering wheel back and forth play with no movement of the wheels until the ball stud finds a contact point. I see threads on the front of the assemby to adjust the reach of the arm to the bell crank. Does this adjustment take up the slack in the stud ball area too? Is there a cure for this "slacker?" Thanks.

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Mike
05-13-2005, 05:24 AM
That sounds pretty dangerous. It's supposed to give a little to send pressure to the ram; but it isn't noticable.
It may be just full of hardened grease. The manual explains how to remove it and take it apart.
It's best to remove the reach rod at the bell crank, so you can get total length set correctly. Otherwise the steering box won't be centered. The length adjustment doesn't adjust play.
At the other end, the pitman arm usually comes off the steering box easily. The shaft isn't tapered. There is room for a puller, if you need one. It's a good time to replace the seal on the shaft.
I remove and install the valve with the hoses attached. Disconnect them at the distant ends.
On Avanti's, the ball stud is pressed into the pitman arm, and staked. It's possible to remove it and replace it with a ball stud from a Ford, which bolts on. Hopefully you won't have to.
Mike M.

Mike B
07-12-2005, 10:44 PM
I am looking for replacement seals, do you know where to get them? Please let me know.

mbreaz@yahoo.com

GTtim
07-12-2005, 11:11 PM
To get new seals for the valve assembly and pitman arm dust seal try Dwayne Jacobson email: Studebaker@g2a.net
Tim K.