This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 GT Hawk fenders

Hi everyone. I'm a new member and I just bought A 62 GT Hawk on Ebay. The car has the original engine and runs well. I have discovered that the car has three fiberglass fenders(both front fenders and the rear left). The rear left fender doesn't fit well, which affets the trunk lid, which has a 1 inch space on one side while the other side of the trunk has hardly any space at all. I want to do a little body straighteninG/tightening and paint the car. I would prefer to replace the fiberglass fenders with original or reproduction metal fenders. The fiberglass has, upon close inspection, swirl patterns which I've been told will show through new paint. I've spent hours on the internet trying to locate metal fenders, and while I've found about everything else, I can't find the fenders. I would surely appreciate some advice from more experienced members regarding the fiberglass dilemma. Is it worth replacing them with metal? Any leads on where to find them would be great. Sorry for the long post...Thanks in advance for any info.

quote:Originally posted by bigtimber

The rear left fender doesn't fit well, which affets the trunk lid, which has a 1 inch space on one side while the other side of the trunk has hardly any space at all. I want to do a little body straighteninG/tightening and paint the car. I would prefer to replace the fiberglass fenders with original or reproduction metal fenders. The fiberglass has, upon close inspection, swirl patterns which I've been told will show through new paint. I've spent hours on the internet trying to locate metal fenders, and while I've found about everything else, I can't find the fenders. I would surely appreciate some advice from more experienced members regarding the fiberglass dilemma. Is it worth replacing them with metal? Any leads on where to find them would be great. Sorry for the long post...Thanks in advance for any info.
    I may be way wrong, and if I am, that's OK, 'cause somebody here will straighten me out in short order! My thought is that the problem with fit may not be a problem with the fiberglass fender. It's probably related to the structure it is bolted to. I have heard no complaints of poor fit regarding any of the fiberglass parts that I know of. In other words, I think there is a good chance that if you find a metal fender, you will still have to make some adjustments to make things line up. I could be wrong.

Regarding the "swirls" in the fiberglass, I suspect that if you properly prepare the fenders and QP before painting, you can eliminate them. Some block sanding, followed by sanding primer, followed by more sanding primer, followed by more block sanding repeated over and over, just as you would be required to do with metal panels,) followed by a good sealer before the finish coat should fill the swirls. I think you would be hard pressed to find metal fenders that would not require the same (or more) treatment.

If it were me (which it isn't,) I would try to work with what you have. Done properly, nobody but you will ever know the difference. OTOH, if the "difference" is going to bother you, even if you are the only one that knows, by all means, find some metal fenders, figure out the alignment problem, and prep the metal fenders for paint!

Just my humble opinion.

Dave's Place
    Studebaker Emporium
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

Dude's right in that a poor-fitting rear fender shouldn't affect the fit of the deck lid.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll let a body shop see what they can do to tighten up the spaces and will likely stay with the fiberglass. I was a bit worried that the fiberglass wouldn't be the exact shape of the original fenders, or that it would be a hassle attaching the chrome liners and the rocker panels to the glass( it doesn't have them). Thanks again.

Comment

I'm afraid you may have some bad rust issues on the inner panels that the rear quarters are bolted to. The rear fenders have nothing to do with the trunk opening. NOS or good used sheet metal for a Hawk could cost you $2000 or more.
          I'll modify a quote of mine about Avanti's

"There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Hawk"

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
          63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
          55 Speedster
          50 2R 10 truck
          JDP Maryland

Comment

The rear "fenders" only go as far as the stainless steel trim atop them. The bolts that hold on the rear fenders are underneath those upper trim mouldings. Inwards, beyond that trim, you're dealing with the basic body tub. That's why we say that the rear fenders couldn't be contributing to the poor deck lid fit.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
            X