PDA

View Full Version : Cheap disk brakes?

51studer
05-08-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm wondering if anyone knows a common swap from other vehicles to change the drum brakes on a 51 commander to a disk brake set up in the front? I was just thinking of measuring the diameter of the drums, go slightly smaller to accomidate the thickness of the caliper and go to a yard and see what fits, then fab up a plate to mount the caliper.[?]

DEEPNHOCK
05-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Give Jim Turner at Turner brakes a call (or e-mail at diskbrake1@insightbb.com )...
He can tell you what parts you can scrounge on your own and sell you just the brackets and special pieces you will need.
(And Jim Turner is the ONLY disk brake guy I would recommend for Stude disk brake conversions....period!)
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by 51studer

I'm wondering if anyone knows a common swap from other vehicles to change the drum brakes on a 51 commander to a disk brake set up in the front? I was just thinking of measuring the diameter of the drums, go slightly smaller to accomidate the thickness of the caliper and go to a yard and see what fits, then fab up a plate to mount the caliper.[?]

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock