Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There's a reason I call er the blue witch!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a reason I call er the blue witch!

This wagon is going to get a torn up (and lit) sheet in the gas tank yet! She is a prime example of 'don't buy the unrestored vehicle that looks good.'[V]
    Now the flippin' rear end has gone out. I will have replaced the entire drive train on this bloody thing![}]

GRRRRRRRRRR!

I wish I could afford that Cruiser in Minnesota!

And NO! I don't want cheese and crackers with my whine![xx(]

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch

You really have my sympathy. I went through so many parts and so much money on my extended cross country jaunt so I know how much frustration a car can bring. My problem was that I bought a restored car that was restored by a well intentioned novice. I think I'd rather have an unrestored car after finding so much that is wrong under the thick fresh paint. I wish I was close enough to help. The only thing that saved my trip was the help and converstation with other Stude fans. Even when I wanted to take a bat or a flamethrower to the car I found that talking it over calmed me and gave me renewed faith.

Good Luck, I am rooting fo ryou and the car.
    Justin

Comment

Thanks Justin. Your trip is an inspiration to all of us. Especally those of us who are chained to the home base.
      The Witch was the family slave for forty years. She has been used hard and when she gave out they dumped her on me with the phrase "this was my baby."[}] Yeah right. They saw me comming.

Hey on a good note! I found out what is wrong with my 63' wagon. It seems that the steering is hanging up on the sway bar. It came out of the bracket on the right side. So when I turned the wheel to the right it would hang up on the swaybar end and then the bar would pop over the brake drum and the wheel would continue to the right. Whew!! That could have been a lot worse.
      Now all I have to do is borrow Ray's body working tools and fix the many dents and scratches and she is ready for the painter. I just wish that Studebaker would have made it easier to fix the power steering hoses.

And this car has a really good floor. In fact it's possibly the best of all of my larks.

Hey Mr Biggs! The '63 has two weights attached to the face of the front clip. They must weigh fifty pounds each. What is the purpose of these?

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Not Mr. Biggs, but I will answer your weights question. Those weights are harmonic balance weights. They are used on convertibles and sliding roof Wagonaires. Many cars used something similar, but most manufacturers hid the weights in places like inside the front fenders. The temptation is to remove the weights for weight reduction. Do not do this. If they weren't needed, Studebaker, and others, would not have gone to the expense and weight of installing them. That in itself is not the reason to keep them. I have followed Studebakers down the road that had their balance weights removed. The cars shook and danced all over the place.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Since the station wagons and convertibles used the X-frame member for improved longitudinal ridgity, these had severly restricted flex to their overall frames - as opposed to the other offerings in the Lark lineup. This threw what flexing that had to occur to the very front section of the frame. Note that the only point that the whole front sheet metal (doghouse, if you will) mounts is that one center point in front of the radiator. If they'd mounted them the same as sedans, there would have been stretch and alignment problems for the fenders.
          Anyway, this single-point mount allowed the front fenders to experience a harmonic flutter at speeds above about 40 MPH. This might have been addressed with a more elegant fix if money had been no object. But the simple addition of 30lb. weights served to dampen the flutter. That's their only purpose.
          I've got them on my convertible and I've never tried the car without them. I've got a couple from a wagon I parted out some years ago. They make great doorstops![^]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Innnntresting! Doorstops huh? Well I just might take them off one of my wagons. They would at least be a good conversation piece.
            Thanks for the info, and the sympathy. And I didn't even have to serve tea![:I]

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            Ron Smith

Comment

Hey!! Now I know why the steering is so squirly on my american '64 wagon.[:0] Maybe I'll restore it yet! All I have to do is get another set of those weights.[:I] After all, a slide top that does'nt leak (at least in the slide top) has to be special.[8D] Right?

Of course just being a Studebaker makes it a jewel.[8D]

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
              X