PDA

View Full Version : Your Tool Kit

Slartybarfast
05-06-2005, 02:15 PM
What do tools do you have in your garage ?

A classic question but what would you recommend a person just starting on auto repair to have and what is the best/ cheapest way to go about getting set up.

Roscomacaw
05-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Probably #1 is your basic wrenches, screw drivers and ratchet/socket sets. Frankly, I'd go with one of the Craftsman mechanic's sets to get started. The tools are really good quality and guaranteed. If you break one, they'll replace it, no questions asked.
You CAN buy cheaper tools but the old addage about getting what you pay for is still a valid star to steer by. Some of the sets from Sears are pretty nicely priced when they're on sale and they're not OVERpriced even at regular retail.;)

Miscreant at large.

whacker
05-06-2005, 10:01 PM
If your going to work on Studebakers, be sure to get 6-point sockets and box ends. Don't buy 12-point. Just the voice of experience here.

Commander51
05-07-2005, 06:06 AM
If you think you'd ever try painting your car(s), then you should consider buying a compressor and air tools sooner than later. I got along without for several restos, but got many sprained wrists/badly busted knuckles and wish I'd made the investment sooner. The work goes faster, and is so much more pleasant. Again, you cant go too far wrong with Craftsman for the compressor, Ingersol Rand for the tools. You need a compressor that makes 90 lbs working pressure, with about a 20 gallon tank minimum.

I read a column in 'Classic Car' recently where the editor recommended taking a loan out if necessary to buy good tools at the onset. In hindsight, that seems like good advice; if you have a big job ahead of you, you'll want it to go as quickly and pleasantly as possible so you won't get discouraged. The right tool for the job will really make a BIG(GS?) difference!!

Commander51
05-07-2005, 06:10 AM
But the VERY FIRST tools you should buy is a good-quality floor jack and a set of equally good jack stands. None of the rest of the tools will do you any good if you're squished...

52hawk
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Get a big jug of hand cleaner and a ton of rags!

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

DEEPNHOCK
05-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Here HERE!
Yessir..
NO cinder blocks! EVER!
Jackstands EVERY time you go under there.
NEVER trust a hydraulic jack.

Very well said.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Commander51

But the VERY FIRST tools you should buy is a good-quality floor jack and a set of equally good jack stands. None of the rest of the tools will do you any good if you're squished...

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock