PDA

View Full Version : rust prevention

dave smith
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I wanted to put an ides out for discussion. I thinkl that after derusting my hawk I'll prime it then use poly truck bed coating to rustproof it. any comments would be appreciated.

farmhawk
03-04-2007, 08:49 PM
I know this topic has been discussed indepth before. We stripped the all of the areas of the body on the 61 Hawk of as much of the original undercoating as possible and made sure the remaining was sealed tight. We then preped all of the exposed metal areas with "Marine Clean" and "Metal Ready" by POR15. We then applied 2 coats of POR15. After that had just setup we applied 2 coats of "Herculiner" (a truck bed coating) and here is the results!
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q90/wkroeger/BottomAfterApplyingHerculiner.jpg?t=1173059443

Wayen K.
Libby, MT
61 Hawk (Project)

dave smith
03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
looks great did you do inside too?

farmhawk
03-06-2007, 12:09 AM
I did the inside with 2 coats of POR15.

Wayen K.
Libby, MT
61 Hawk (Project)

azrael4h
03-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I was wondering how many actually tried using the bed liner approach. I was planning on it as well, on both the underside of the body, the inner fender areas, and the frame. At least now I know it doesn't look half bad!.

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

pszikszai
03-06-2007, 08:21 AM
Looks good.
Just curious how are you protecting the frame?
Inside and outside.

bondobilly
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by dave smith

I wanted to put an ides out for discussion. I thinkl that after derusting my hawk I'll prime it then use poly truck bed coating to rustproof it. any comments would be appreciated.

I "rustproofed" the HFH in 1990 and it still shows no sign of any rust. The first thing to do is seal the seam on the front fenders where it doubles back on itself. I used paintable caulking after POR-15 cured over night. I then did the same thing to the vent doors. There is the biggest problem as ther are two pieces spot welded together. Using the caulking prevents any moisture from getting in. The next thing is to seal the vent doors from the out side, juat run a small bead of caulking around the seams. Spray a ton of undercoating inside the doors, and inside and below the rear side windows.

http://www.bondobilly.com/1sdc.jpg SAVE THE STUDEBAKER.....SAVE THE WORLD.

farmhawk
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
The frame is powder coated with POR15 sprayed inside and the components that didn't get powdered were painted with 3 coats of POR15. (rear end, drive shaft, springs and front end pieces)
I have also coated the inner rear fenders and most other surfaces that won't be readily seen with the POR15 and Herculiner combination and plan on treating everything inside the front fenders the same way

Wayen K.
Libby, MT
61 Hawk (Project)