This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Drive - 63 Lark

My 63 Lark (Standard) came with a 3 speed manual trans.. If I switch it to an overdrive transmission, do I need to change anything besides the transmission? (and install an electrical connection). How much should I pay for a good working overdrive transmission? (I saw them at York, PA last March, but didn't ask the price!)

I've been using the Lark now as my "daily driver" (but I work at home), and I don't need overdrive around here, but I can see that if I want to do any travelling on the Interstate, the overdrive would be nice ....maybe even necessary!

I've only driven the car for about a month now, but it sure attacts attention! I think I've had more people comment about the Lark than any of my other old cars! It seems that just about everyone's Dad used to have a Studebaker around here. Now mine seems to be the only Lark in town.

So far, the Lark has been reliable. Thanks to this forum, I've purchased a bell crank pivot repair kit (Studebaker International)that will be installed mext Monday! Then I ought to be ready to travel longer distances in the car without the fatiguing loosness in the steering system. Next March I'll be driving the Studebaker over to York, PA if all goes well (weather-wise). Hopefully I can make a trip to South Bend Indiana as well!

Thanks for your Help!

MARC
    Punxsutawney, PA

Marc,
    Besides the tranny, you'll need to come up with the associated wiring for the OD solenoid and a kickdown switch to mount to the accellerator bellcrank.
    Of course, this is assuming your tranny comes with a solenoid (one with 3 terminals on it!) and governor. If not, you'll have to round those up too. DS should fit fine tho.
    Since the associated wiring is pretty simple, I'd think you could make it up yourself without too much trouble. But then, I see where SI has NOS OD harnesses for 15 bucks![:0] That's pretty darned cheap.

As to the price of a tranny - if it's a 6cyl car (t-96 tranny), I'd say in the $75 range. Double or more that for a V8 (T-86) unit. Take a wrench along and pull the cover off for a look-see inside tho!

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Won't the OD tranny be longer than the straight 3sp ? Will he not need to cut down his Driveshaft ? On the proposed swap: if you go with an OD unit, I'd advise changing out your rear axle too. That little 6 will not function well in front of 3.73 gears at all. Unless
      the car was originally delivered to mountainous terrain, that's what you have behind your tranny. I'd strongly advise 4.10 gears with OD, if hilly, 4.27's. The 3.73's will run @ 65mph all day long with the 3sp.

Comment

No - the tranny will be the same lenght - straight or OD.

Marc says he's been driving it locally with no problems. I don't see why he should have to change the rear just for the addition of OD.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

What year transmissions will fit my '63 Lark (OHV 6) ? Are there any particulars (serial numbers, etc.) that I need to look for?

If I can find an OD transmission for less than $100, I'm definitely going to convert it over. Hopefully, I'll get a look at an overdrive car to see what the electrical part looks like. I can not imagine it being too complicated for me to figure out .....since the rest of this car seems simple enough!

I don't know what axle ratio I have. I'll have to figure that out .....but third gear right now seems like a great hill climbing gear. We have 8 to 10 percent grade hills around here. I am surprised how well the little 6 goes up those hills at pretty decent speed (without downshifting).

Thanks for the info!

MARC
          Punxsutawney, PA

Comment

You'll love the OD on the freeway.[8D] It makes an entirely different car out of it. The milage is great. In fact, you won't believe the difference. Just don't park it on a hill without disengaging the OD before stopping. I found out the hard way (dont ask[:I]) that the car will roll backwards in first gear if the OD is still engaged.[}]

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            A.K.A: out2lunch
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

That's why you make a habit out of putting it in reverse when you park.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

and if the car is facing down hill it will roll forward if the OD is engaged. PLEASE don't ask why I did'nt learn the first time.[:I][8)]

Lotsa Larks!
                Studeclunker
                Ron Smith

Comment

Punxy eh...I used to drive my 64' ragtop every Wednesday from Uniontown to Punxy....Got a few parts from the old Stude dealership in Stump Creek....I believe the old gent died and most of his parts went to Craig Piper @ Westmoreland in ????? Anyway, since you're happy with the 3sp around there, don't worry about the R/A swap. I know Calvin (Oldcarfart) in Florida got a beautifully running setup in
                  my 59' wagon I sent him. He swapped the drivetrain for Chevy. It had an 8K mile NOS flathead 6 in it @ sale. I don't think it would cost much to ship tpo you. Another thing...you'll need the bellcrank assy and some related accelerator parts for kickdown switching and such....I'll bet it's all NOS in SASCO as we speak...Good Luck

Comment

It's too bad that guy's not in Stump Creek any more. He must have sold out in the mid-1980's or so because I do remember him being there. I moved here in 1982 ...so it was after that, he moved! His stock went to Westmoreland ? .... you mean, like near Pittsnurgh (in Westmoreland County)?

My neighbor had a 59 Lark until 1996, anyway. It had 6,000 miles on it. Too bad his kid fell on it from 10 feet up and banged up the hood ...and then it got caught in the '96 flood and got it's door panels stained up. The only time I ever saw them driving it was when they took it in for it's anual inspection! It was a v-8, automatic.
                    Too bad I didn't care about Studebakers until just recently!

We did have a Studebaker dealer in Punxsy ....my neighbor's family owned it (her Dad, I think). The last I saw pictures of it looked like early 1950's. (I'll have to ask my neighbor) It seems that everyone I talk to (here in Punxsy) says either their Dad or their Uncle owned a Studebaker!

I might be able to pick up a good overdrive trans at York next March ....then I won't have to worry about shipping! I hope to see how the installation looks too...

MARC
                    Punmxsutawney, PA

MARC
                    Punxsutawney, PA

Comment

StudeClunker wrote: " and if the car is facing down hill it will roll forward if the OD is engaged. PLEASE don't ask why I did'nt learn the first time."

Clunk, that's exactly why I said that you learn to park your vehicle in Reverse. In Reverse (with the OD engaged) the vehicle won't roll either way.

LarkMark,

You're in the territory of the Keystone Chapter of SDC (or close anyway[:I]) I'm betting those guys could locate you an OD tranny in short order! I'm gonna send you some contact info and you can take it from there, OK[?]

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Well that tranny was trash anyway. The OD worked and that ended up being it.[xx(] I just wish I could get the current one working...[}]

Lotsa Larks!
                        Studeclunker
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Well, what's the problem with it? That's what we're here for!

Miscreant at large.

Comment

I have been Mr. Biggs. Just in the other forum. Mine is the wagon that had (and I stress past-tense) the custom wiring.[)]
                            By the way, the wiring for the OD turned to be completely independent. I can't find anything going inside. where the buzzing was coming from I haven't a clue.[:I] Still, it used to slowly die away after engaging the OD. Go figure.[:I]
                            With the rearend out it will be a while before I can get back to this.[V]

Lotsa Larks!
                            Studeclunker
                            Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                            X