This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water pump

Studebaker International has a kit for your Lark's pump. $63 bucks plus shipping. Sounds like having yours rebuilt (and having it guaranteed by the rebuilder) might be the better deal.
    The other approach is to hit up a small rebuild shop. They might be willing to sell you a bearing and seal so you can do it yourself. Of course, if you mess it up.......[xx(]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

water pump

so i'm pretty sure that my water pump is gonna go out. i dont think it's been replaced or rebuilt in the last 10 yrs. i've been wondering how hard it may be to rebuild it myself. i have a press and am pretty knowledgable on how to repair these sorts of things but since i've never done it i dont know what to expect.
    i did already look into just purchasing a rebuilt one but then i figured that if i'm going to pay 60-70 dollars for my old one to be rebuilt why not do it myself. the one big snagg that i've been running into is i cant find someone who sells some sort of rebuild kit or bearing set for the water pump.
    anyone got any advise. by the way it a 63 larkl, straight 6, 170 ohv

Comment

mr.biggs it almost sounds like you have no confidence in my ability... if you only knew.[8D]

Comment

That wasn't my point - my point was if you buy the kit and pay shipping on it, you've eclipsed the cost of having yours rebuilt with a guarantee.
        I generally weigh the trade-offs of doing something myself vs. letting someone else do it when it's something as minor as rebuilding a water pump.
        I once overhauled an old Caddy Hydramatic with no one to guide me - I had only a shop manual as a reference. And any "special tools" that were required - I improvised as I went along. The tranny worked flawlessly when I got it back in the car. I'd never even looked inside a tranny before I did that one. But I did it just to prove I could, so I do understand your rationale.[:I] Besides, mechanics nowdays are just parts changers. They know little about what goes on inside a given unit. I like knowing just what DOES make a given thing tick. And I do believe we learn best by doing. So....

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
        X