PDA

View Full Version : innercoolers

charley norton
05-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Has anyone fabricated a innercooler setup or cold air induction for 63 avanti R2's?? It would probably give huge gains in performance and economy. Seems like a innercooler could be made to fit between the fan and radiator where only the shroud would have to be modified.

charley norton

JDP
05-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Cool air induction was used on the R3 Avanti's and can be done on the R2's. The inlet hose to the supercharger goes throught the right inner fender to the air cleaner mounted in the lower scoop. Ted Harbit uses a inner cooler on his twin turbo Studebaker, as did the recent salt flats Avanti's.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck

Alan
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
You can use either air to air with the intercooler mounted by the raidiator, on the Bonniville car they use water to air coolers with water pumps to cool drops the temp better and faster than air to air
but either whay it will have to be custom fabed we are talking $ here.

charley norton
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
Talked to Craig with Paxton superchargers. He said the level of boost the R2 supercharger puts out (5-7 lbs) doesn't heat the air enough to make a intercooler that beneficial. He said a more notible gain can be found in installing a cold air induction setup and get outside air to the inlet side. He makes and sells a Paxton superchager fluid cooler that works through the dipstick tube. Under $300 and sounds easy to install. No gain in power but will help with the life of the unit. His link www.paradisewheelsinc.com

63 R2 Avanti

Dan White
05-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Charley I posted this info a couple of days ago to answer your earlier post. Also you can get a supercharger oil cooler from these folks: http://www.jcperformance.com/oil_cooler.htm. Be a bit careful with the pumps that are used, some try to use a electric fuel pump which may not work properly long-term.

Charley, Spearco makes about any kind and size of intercooler (not innercooler) you could want (http://www.turboneticsinc.com/intercoolers.html). You can go with air-to-air or air-to-liquid. I bought a Vortec air-to-liquid on ebay a couple of years ago for my Stude Turbo Truck project (still in process). An air-to-liquid is much more compact and more efficient than an air-to-air, but much more expensive. The old Buick Grand Nationals used the air-to-air type quite effectively, and the new supercharged V8 Jags use an air-to-liquid. The other thing you can try is water injection which will also lower the charge temp and help reduce knock.

The only other thing you can to is go to an electronic ignition with a knock sensor that will automatically retard the spark when knock is detected.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

charley norton
05-10-2005, 05:33 AM
Dan, whats your take on Craigs opinion that a intercooler on a sn60 would give negligable results. Also, did you rig a cold air set up on your truck? If so, what did you use for the plumbing?
Thanks

63 R2 Avanti

Dan White
05-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Charley:

I think Craig is on the money. An SN60 provides about 8 psi boost, I believe, and at that amount of pressure the intercooler is just not going to do much. Most of the original Paxton designed blowers can only do about 10psi Max or maybe a bit more under the right conditions. This is one reason they can be used as an aftermarket accessory with stock equipment, otherwise the boost will be too much for relatively high compression engines. As Craig may have mentioned Paradise Wheels bought all of the original Paxton designed blower systems, tooling, technology etc. because Paxton wanted to push on with their NOVI style blower, which is a belt driven scroll type compressor with gear drive (very similar to a Vortech blower, which is now somehow merged with Paxton in a way.) The Novi style blower is basically the compressor part of a turbo charger with the drive being a belt driven gear box. This approach can push beyond the SN type design and can effectively respond to intercooling.

My truck, still in process, will use a turbocharger with the boost around 12 to 15psi, depending where I set the waste gate. I plan to try to duct in air in the front of the truck, but that is still in the planning stages. I am using a 1963 R2 engine that will be electronically fuel injected.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT