PDA

View Full Version : replacing front springs on 62 sedan

studeclunker
05-01-2005, 04:41 PM
I have a 62 4dr sedan with very tired front springs.:( Also I intend to replace the current six with an eight.[:I] Can I replace the springs myself? Do I need any specialty equipment to do this? Should I leave it to a shop?

Thanks in advance...

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker
A.K.A: out2lunch

Roscomacaw
05-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Well, not knowing your level of experience with tools and cars, I can't say definitively, but it is possible to do it yourself. Frankly, I myself, wouldn't trust my Studebake to "a shop" for ANYTHING! Not unless you KNOW THE MECHANIC that's gonna perform the work and you feel 100% at ease with his doing so - and the resultant bill![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

studeclunker
05-02-2005, 01:09 AM
My experiance level is novice.[:o)] I know just enough to get myself in deep, um, just about the deepest, um, stuff... trouble... you know what I mean.[:I] Look back at my posts.[B)] They speak for themselves.[:o)]

What I need to know is how complicated is it? Do I need specialized equipment?

I don't know any mechanics in the area and can't afford them anyway. All I need to know is how to go about it... Or whether I should wait.

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

BRUCESTUDE
05-03-2005, 11:57 PM
STUDECLUNKER- DO YOU HAVE A SHOP MANUAL? IF NOT, GET ONE!(FROM SDC VENDORS)IF YOU DO, FOLLOW IT STEP BY STEP. I REBUILT THE FRONT END ON MY '52 COMMANDER, AND USED A FLOOR JACK TO REMOVE THE SPRINGS. JUST FOLLOW DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY.
REINSTALLING WAS A LITTLE TRICKIER- HAD TO USE A LONG TAPERED DRIFT TO GET THE LOWER ARM BOLT HOLES TO LINE UP TO THE ONES IN THE FRAME.
WHEN I HAD EVERYTHING APART, I HAD THE LOCAL MACHINE SHOP CLEAN AND BEAD BLAST THE PARTS, THEN I PAINTED THEM, REPLACED ALL FASTENERS (WITH THE SAME GRADE)AND GREASE FITTINGS, THEN I HAD IT ALIGNED, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Roscomacaw
05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Make damn sure you DO use proper hardware when going back together with the front end. The lower, inner A-arm shafts are held in place by 4 bolts. These MUST HAVE self-locking nuts - NOT lock washers. There's been too many tales of these lower A-arms coming loose![xx(]
Also, the bolts that go into the ends of the upper and lower inner shafts (to retain the rubber bushings) were of a self-locking sort. If you reuse them, locktite them when installing. I've personally seen upper A-arms come OFF the shaft and the results aren't pretty.:(

Miscreant at large.

studeclunker
05-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Ok, now I am scared.[:0]
Right... So I need a long drift and also to remember to order the insulator with the spring. I suppose it would be a good idea to replace the rebound bumper as well.
Oh yes, looks like I'm going to have to get a torque wrench.[:I]
This looks like it's going to be expensive...:(

Thanks for the help fellas! :D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

gotti210
05-04-2005, 02:50 PM
hey guy theres not much to it ive been installing air bags and hydraulics on cars and trucks for about 10 years now and when i looked under my 50 a few months back to do a rebuild and upgrade i said oh poopoo
it looked very complicated and intriguete but i tackled it anyway(without a shop manuel)

a trusty notebook to keep notes & pics on how everything went in was a very helpful tool and makes it easier for next time if there ever is a next time

but like every one said check and recheck and use your common knowledge

i think youll find it to be fairly simple after the task is done

studeclunker
Yeah, I can relate to time...[:o)] The way I do things is; one step, check manual, setup for two step, check manual, two step, check manual....

I'm ashamed to say that I'm getting to know this shop manual better than my bible.[:I]

Thank God for this forum!! I would be having a much harder time without it. God bless all of you for your help!:D

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Alan
Plan on taking 3 or 4 times the amount of time to do it. Everything on
the front end is going to be rusted, worn or broken. Once you start removing pieces you will want to clean and paint. Time, Time , Time

65cruiser
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
You might find this site helpful:

http://www.ncsdc.com/TechnicalPages/FrontSuspension/FrontSuspension2.htm