PDA

View Full Version : Truck disc brakes

Jeff T.
04-30-2005, 09:53 AM
One of the things I plan to do with my truck project is change out the drum brakes to disc brakes. Turner brakes offer the complete parts package and the bracket package. If I recall, the turner system uses GM calipers. The state of my finances in the next few months will govern what package I might buy.

I have inherited a 1980 Buick with disc brakes, the body is dead but it is mechanically sound. I can use these calipers but where do the discs come from to retain the 5x5 truck pattern?

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

Roscomacaw
04-30-2005, 11:13 AM
The discs are ones used on large, late 70s Chevvies. I got a pair for my truck thru JC Whitney when I did my conversion. They were the cheapest new discs I could find. They've served me well, I might add.:D

Miscreant at large.

DEEPNHOCK
05-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Jim Turner will sell the brackets without the calipers, so you can go get your own... Top shelf materials.... Good guy to deal with.
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jeff T.

One of the things I plan to do with my truck project is change out the drum brakes to disc brakes. Turner brakes offer the complete parts package and the bracket package. If I recall, the turner system uses GM calipers. The state of my finances in the next few months will govern what package I might buy.

I have inherited a 1980 Buick with disc brakes, the body is dead but it is mechanically sound. I can use these calipers but where do the discs come from to retain the 5x5 truck pattern?

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

DEEPNHOCK@worldnet.att.net
'61 Hawk
'37 Coupe Express
http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

johnesmonde
05-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Turner disc brake kit is A-1. If I had left it by itself, I would have been happy. I changed the single M/C to a dual using Jim's bracket kit. I did not realize I would lose the power booster and the brake light switch in the move. I'm not convinced that discbrakes, power booster and single reservoir M/C is trumped by disc brakes, dual M/C and no power booster. Anyone got an idea how to deal with the brake switch deal. Seems I need to adapt something mechanical.

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Roscomacaw
05-09-2005, 02:31 PM
For my Transtar, I got a vintage Chevy mechanical switch from NAPA and screwed it to the backside of the floorpan. As soon as I step on the brake pedal, the pedal arm (below the floorpan) allows the switch to go to it's normally closed position and provide power to the brake lites. Of course, this would have to be different on late Champs with the swing pedal setup. :D
I can do a photo of my brake lite switch if wanted.;)

Miscreant at large.

Alan
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
If you want to be real cheep on the T-cab the roters from a 68 - 72 Dodge charger bolt right on with only a change in rear bearing and oil seal all you have to do is fab a bracket to hold the caliper from 1/2" steel plate and use a 68 Ford Mustang dual master cylinder with out power and put a small bracket in front of the brake pedal and use a switch off a honda or toyota they are like 3 or 4 bucks at your local FLAPS.

johnesmonde
05-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks Bob! If you e-mail me the picture I would appreciate it. Currently I have new Turner discs on the Hawk's front and a new dual M/C with the Turner bracket. The required RCV's and proportioning valves are in. The brakes are still insufficient.( disapointing )I have hard pedal, not spongy, but poor breaking. I think perhaps I may not have adequately bench bled the M/C. What is the best way to go through the bench bleed process with the M/C on the car? If I use a pressure bleeder ball will that expel air from both the M/C and the lines?
At the moment, I'm tempted to pull out the bracket and dual M/C and put back the original single M/C so I can use the booster and original brake light set-up. Thoughts?

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Roscomacaw
05-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I'll get a picture in a bit.:D

Miscreant at large.

PaulDriver
05-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Here's a scandalous thought, take a look at http://www.fatmanfab.com/ , they sell a Hub to Hub Mustang II Independent Front Suspension kit that works in the 41-48 and the 49-64 Stude Pickups. Frame modifications appear minimal (No need to Subframe), and you get Disc brakes as part of their kit.

The kicker is that the price appears to come in at $10 more then the cost of a Turner Brake Deluxe kit.

Of course your truck them becomes obviously modified.

Dan White
05-13-2005, 10:53 PM
The guy I bought my 64 R1 Hawk from had taken off the Stude disk brakes and Hydrovac and put the large finned drums on. It was OK and did stop but my wife did not like the feel. So I got a rebuilt Hydrovac and put on one of Dave Levesque's early disk brake kits that used the 68 Ford LTD rotors (drop in fit!). What a difference it made, and can it stop! I have been told by several Stude folks that you don't need a power booster with any of the disk brakes, I did not buy it and still don't! I may be wrong but I don't think any company gave you an option of power/non-power brakes when disk brakes were ordered (of course that is when it was an option) and there is a reason for that.

The dual MC is supposedly safer etc., but I don't remember ever reading where Studes single MC were a problem, and that if you do have a problem that is why you have an emergency brake! As several have found out the hard way if you do the dual MC you lose your Hydrovac. The only way to do a power dual MC on a C/K is to either do the Hydroboost setup (driven off the power steering pump) or a remote vac. canister/power booster in the trunk and we are talking about $500 at the best.

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT