This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Jack

My new-to-me 51 Commander came with a non-standard jack, a tripod model which takes up too much trunk space. Sales lit illustrations show what looks to be a 'standard' bumper jack mounted in brackets adjacent to the spare tire. Is this jack something I can scrounge at a yard, or is it a Stude-only item? If the latter, can they be had from a Stude parts house or do I have a new swap meet wish list item?

You'll need to find the correct Studebaker jack or somehing close enough to work. The shape of the hook that fits the bumper is the important bit.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

SOME models of Studebaker had a tripod jack available as an option. Yours just might BE one such. If so, I'll bet someone would pay dearly to own it! How well does the "catch" fit the bumper? That might be a clue.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Funny you should remind me, I got a note this winter from a fellow I know who offered me a Studebaker tri-pod jack for $10. He should know, as he worked in a Studebaker dealership when he was young (he told a story about being there in'51 when the camshaft failures were happening and said the guys in the service area could tell when a bad one was comming just by listening to it run as it drove up the road to the dealership. He's also said that by removing the radiator and bullet nose assy. you can pull the camshaft out with out having to pull the engine or front sheet metal. He was right.)

1960 Lark Convertible
        1962 GT Hawk
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Space or no space that tripod is far superior to the stock jack Studebaker supplied with their cars.[8D] I have a stock jack in my '52, ya wanna trade??[] I would keep yours if I were you.[}]

Lotsa Larks!
          Studeclunker
          A.K.A: out2lunch
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I gave the tripod a try today; the bumper mates up with the jack just fine, and I agree that it is much more stable than a 'one legger'. I guess I'll hang on to this one. Thanks for everyone's comments!

51 Commander State Sedan
            Butler PA

Comment

Dang!!

Lotsa Larks!
              Studeclunker
              A.K.A: out2lunch
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment