PDA

View Full Version : T-10 four speed in 55 sedan????

55pres
04-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Hello fellow stude fiends!

I have the chance to buy a 63 hawk complete with T-10 four speed. However the car is very rough, and I don't think worth the effort to save, its pretty far gone sadly :( But I was thinking of using part of the drive-line in my sedan. I was thinking of using everything from the tranny to the rear-end. I assume I might have to shorten the driveshaft, or maybe even make it longer, I hope not longer cuz its cheaper to shorten it! BTW my 55 is already a 3 speed with OD, so I'm hoping the clutch linkage will be the same. I also assume I might have to make custom mounts for the different type of tranny, I don't think the C/K cross member would fit my long wheelbase sedan. (120.5")

(2) 1955 Presidents

N8N
04-28-2005, 08:51 PM
I think the clutch linkage is pretty much the same, but don't throw the Hawk stuff out. I think I know a guy that might want it :) I don't think you'd want to use the '63 flywheel unless you've already converted to 12V. Now I don't know about the clutch; if the bigger, later clutch bolts to a '55 flywheel. You should have a 10" clutch now if your setup is stock.

Bad news: the T-10 uses a slip yoke, so you would have to convert to a one piece driveshaft, which would mean cutting out the driveshaft support crossmember. Also you'd have to find/have made a driveshaft for your car; possibly you could shorten the Hawk one.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studegary
04-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Nate- Why do you think that he would have to shorten the Hawk driveshaft? He is talking about two vehicles with the same wheelbase. He might want to go with the Hawk differential (which he did mention doing). I just can't imagine why anyone would want to convert from a three speed with overdirive to a four speed with direct drive in high.

Roscomacaw
04-29-2005, 05:23 PM
I agree with Gary here. Save for having that swizzle stick coming up from the floor, the 3spd OD is gonna offer zippy take-off and thrifty cruising. And with the 1 - 2 - 2OD - 3 - 3OD shift, you've got a 5spd in essence instead of having only 4 speeds and NO Overdrive![:0]
Of course, you could always add a floor shifter to the 3spd OD box if that's what shifts your gears![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

N8N
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Oops... I was thinking "sedan" being short wheelbase like a Lark. I dunno if the driveshaft would be different or not. Looking in the parts books should answer that question though, just look up say a '64 Cruiser and compare.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

studegary
04-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Sorry, Nate, but again, that won't help him <G>. A '64 Cruiser is not on the 120.5 inch wheelbase that we are discussing here.

55pres
05-02-2005, 02:20 PM
After thinking about it some more, I would hate to leave the OD 3 high gear. It would be more than able to keep up with traffic at highway speeds. The thing I don't like about the 3 on the tree is I wish I had a floor shifter, and I don't like the free-wheeling effect it has once in OD. However, my Dad owns a 1950 Willys Jeepster with the same set up as the stude, but he has it so it free-wheels out of OD, and once IN OD it will hold its self back. I enjoy that, but the way you engage the OD is a switch, so I guess it isn't "automatic OD" like it was from the factory, but it still works fine.

(2) 1955 Presidents

Roscomacaw
05-03-2005, 12:09 PM
You could install a switch to have manual control of OD. Thing is, you'd have to be real mindful of not having it engage when you selected "reverse", or you'd be sorry!:(
Of course, IF your tranny has the reverse lockout switch incorporated, you could use IT in conjunction with your manual switch to prevent accidental engagement while in reverse.;)

Miscreant at large.