This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lines for dual M/C

After installing a dual reservoir M/C in the '62 Hawk, I need to adapt the present brake lines with #2 residual check valve for front lines(discs) and a #10 for back lines (drums). The proportioning valve must also go in line for the rears. All simple except for the brake booster.
    With the old single M/C, brake line goes to the booster, from booster to a 4-way distribution/joiner on driver's front. From there, one line goes to left front, one to right front and one to the rear. Rear line has a joiner directly behind the M/C and splits to each of the rears further down by the axle.
    How do I organize the lines for the double reservoir M/C into this system along with the RCV's and proportioning valve so the booster is active? My quandry is the second line coming from the new M/C as the old had only one. (nothing else to do during the rain up here except work on the car)

Thanks, John

'62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach

There's really no quandry about it. You can't employ that old booster with a split system. You COULD boost the rears or the fronts alone but you sure don't wanna do that![xx(] Frankly, I don't think you need power assist for your split system.[^]

Well...... wait a minute.[)] You COULD do like the old Rover TC2000 I had some years ago. It had TWO seperate boosters to accomodate it's split system[:0] Two Girling boosters (ala Hydro-vacs) that loved to suck the brake fluid out of their respective systems no matter if they were rebuilt or not[V] That little 4cylinder - 4-speed was a ball to drive - so long as you didn't put yourself in a compromizing stopping situation![:0]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That's the problem with the dual MC setup for Studes with Hydrovac, you cannot boost the brake system with the dual MC kit. The old setup used the MC to activate the Hydrovac. I decided against going to a dual MC for that reason. Some my say that you do not need the boost and technically that is correct, but there is a big difference in the pedal feel and pressure applied. Personally I have not had any problem with the Hydrovac if it is set up properly.

Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Oops I forgot there is a way to boost a Hawk setup with a dual MC, it is a bit pricey but you can use a Hydroboost set up like is used on some truck and car applications (Ford and GM used it in several production applications, late 70's Cadillacs and even later model Mustangs) and is a favorite of some Jeep enthusist. It is driven off of the power steering pump and attaches to a MC.

Unfortunately there is no good way to put a small 7" booster like is often used on street rods on the Stude frame, this would be great but it is a no-go! However, it might be possible if you used one of those remote booster set ups that are available from a number of the street rod aftermarket brake places.

You can get a Hydroboost kit from http://www.powerbrakeservice.net for $485 or there abouts.

Also Vanco makes a kit as well that you would neet to adapt for the Stude setup

pictures for a jeep installation: http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/HydroBoost.htm

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
        X