PDA

View Full Version : Radial Tires

50Stoo D
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
My recently purchased '50 Starlight has G78-15 tubeless tires on it although the original specs say 640-15. Is it advisable to replace with radials such as P175/75R-15? If so, what are the advantages & disadvntages? Thanks, Any info will be helpful.

Chris Pile
04-22-2005, 04:30 PM
They may be a little hard to find in the stock sizes (tall & narrow), but they will smooth out your ride considerably.

Roscomacaw
04-22-2005, 11:24 PM
You want 195X75R-15 tires on there. And don't let the tire stores say: "Oh! Volkswagen tires!" That's BS[}:)] You want 195X75R-15s such as were used on Chrysler mini-vans and other cars. NOT VW tires. And you can get them with up to an inch wide whitewall without paying "collector car" tire prices.;) You won't BELIEVE the difference in ride and steering when you change that thing to radials![:0]

Miscreant at large.

50Stoo D
04-25-2005, 09:00 AM
Thanks to Chris Pile and Mr. Biggs for the info. I'm new to this forum and it's great. Mr. Biggs do you know everything about Studebakers? and why do you call yourself a miscreant?

Roscomacaw
04-25-2005, 12:26 PM
I can't BEGIN to know all about Studebakers! And the raw truth is, this forum teaches me how much I DON'T know with some of the questions that are put up. There are some folks I know that could make my efforts look amatuer! They just don't hang out here ........ yet.
But, with 32 years of driving, fixing & restoring Studebakers, ya gotta have gotten SOME knowledge outta what you've experienced. So, what I offer up here is a combo of first-hand knowledge, a good reference library and lotsa Studes and Stude parts at hand to inspect if a question comes up that I want to answer most accurately.

Miscreant:( ...... I've been known as a troublemaker in various corners. Actualy, I'm kinda proud of that. A person either sticks to his convitions or he's weak.

Miscreant at large.

50Stoo D
04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks, Mr. Biggs. Nice Transtar!:)Just received my Turning Wheels.

Roscomacaw
04-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Thank You!:D

Miscreant at large.

Jeff_H
04-28-2005, 11:17 AM
You may find your hubcaps won't stay on with radials on your old rims. I have heard some have problems and some don't. I put 205/75R15s on my '53 with the stock 5" wide rims. The tires fit reasonably OK (5" rim is about as narrow as you can use with a 205). I could not keep the full size hubcaps from creeping loose on the rim and resorted to using some "glue" on the teeth to keep them on (those tri-star ones are hard to find!). One of the rear ones also made noticeable creaking noises if I rolled the car slowly in a quiet place. The rims were flexing. I just replaced the rims with some new 6" wide ones (same type adv in TW) that are for late model cars with radials. I haven't put the caps on so I don't know for sure if that problem is fixed or not but am hopeful. I was as much concerned the rim would fail as loosing a cap. If its flexing, there could be metal fatique leading to cracks....

'53 Champion Hardtop