PDA

View Full Version : ohv six 2 barrel

tj1852
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm getting ready to get my '64 Commander back on the road, and I'd like to replace the carb with some kind of 2 barrel. I noticed that at least one person has done this. What is the best way? Are there adaptors that can be used? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Tim

cosmo
04-21-2005, 01:19 PM
well i put a progressive 2 barl on my 63 lark. and it runs great. i had the old stock carter rbs on it before and that thing just sucked. now i can adjust the idle alot better, put in bigger jets, whatever. and yes you will need an adaptor. i got mine form summitracing.com, i forget the exact part number right now but if you just went to that site and check it out i'm sure you'll find it.

lvanw
04-21-2005, 03:01 PM
I got a 2 barrel adapter and carb from Napa for my 62 hawk and put on the 4 barrel intake
john

Jeff T.
04-21-2005, 10:19 PM
I did a bit of surfing on the Summit racing site and came up with two adaptors manufactured by Trans-dapt performance products, #TRD-2044, $32.99 and TRD-2041, $31.99.

Now who makes a progressive 2bb carb? I ran the cfm of an OHV six on one of the many cfm computers online and came up with a cfm# like 177 to 227cfm depending on revs and volumetric eff.

To give an idea od available 2 bb carbs, the smallest 2bb Holley makes is a 350 2bb.

Gee, I wonder if I can use one of my extra Studebaker Stromberg WW from a 259, I have a number of those:)

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
The Replacements.

cosmo
04-22-2005, 11:02 AM
the progressive 2 brl i got came off a 73' for pinto. it is a holly 5200 which is a weber 32/36 DFAV. Inside the fuel bowl it even says made in partnership with weber of Italy, electronic choke conversion kits are avalible for $10 + shipping from Allstate Carbs in New York and the CFM are 270 - 285 depending on the application. i was doing alot of web surfing one day on carbs saw this particular one and did a little reading on it and figure i'd give it a try. This particular carb was used in alot of Ford Mustangs, Pintos, and other car manufacturers. The thing you need to keep in mind is the later model car and carb applications are alot different with sensors and stuff like that. My way of thinking is if there is more than one wire going to the carb other than the choke, it's to modern for me and i don't want to hassel with it.

Jeff T.
04-22-2005, 04:38 PM
I'l have to find one of those Holley 5200's to see if it would work well for me. I have an RBS on my Lark that, is well...less than satisfactory. I don't think that a 73 ford is too complicated but compared to an engine whose design dates form 1939...it is complicated.

I guess that I need to get an adaptor too and do a little creative engineering:)

Jeff T.

The Replacements.

cosmo
04-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Whats so complicated? I mean really stick with a carb from the years i mentioned, put on the adaptor, put a tricked out elec. choke, connect the throttle and adjust accordingly. Its a great carb.

studeclunker
04-23-2005, 05:37 PM
I have several sixes myself that I would like to do the 2bbl conversion. several people have cautioned me against 'overasperating" the engine. I.E: Too big is not a good thing.
If you are talking about a V8 then consider the 500cfn Holly. It's far less expensive than the 350 and the adapter is available from Summitracing.
Mr Biggs, you have been rather silent on this one... What do you think?

Lotsa Larks!
Studeclunker

Roscomacaw
04-23-2005, 11:21 PM
I've been quiet because I'm not much of a 6 cylinder guy.[8)] But I HAVE heard good things about putting a 2bbl on a Stude 6, so I think it's worth doing.;)

Miscreant at large.

Jeff T.
04-24-2005, 10:55 AM
I did a little looking on a couple of National/regional parts vendors for a Holley 5200. From Advanced auto parts you can get a rebuilt one, albeit for a 171 mustang II v6 (Which may work fine for a six that was overboared by .030) for around $120.00 plus core and you can order it over the web.

Just have to finish rebuilding a T-86 truck transmission first:)

Jeff T.

The Replacements.

tj1852
04-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Thanks to everyone for some really good info. I found this place:

http://www.stoveboltengineco.com/

They sell rebuild holley weber progressive 2 barrels for about $65, electric choke models are $80 - - seems like a deal to me. They also have a neat little 1 barrel to 2 barrel adaptor and a cool looking little air cleaner for sale.

Is there any reason this adaptor wouldn't work for us? Do you think that making the linkage work is going to be a problem?

Thanks,
Tim

Tom B
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I put the Stovebolt adapter/carb on my '60 Lark VI. it is excellent. There was a little problem with the manifold bolts, but with creative filing and a 1/4" spacer under the adapter, it worked well. Good adjust ment, etc. My milage went from Carter to HW 5200, 19.5 mpg to 23.7 mpg, and that's without OD.

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI

Tom B
04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Belatedly, here's a link to my experience, it deals with linkage.

http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/larkcarb.doc

Tom Bredehoft
'53 Commander Coupe
'60 Lark VI