PDA

View Full Version : 61 hawk trunk pan

Kdancy
04-21-2005, 04:50 AM
I am in the process of cutting out the old rusted-rotted metal that the body shop chose to leave when they put metal in the floor and trunk pan of the Cursed Purple Hawk. Dirt and leaves have worked in between the "double" layers. I am finishing up the floor pans and will do the trunk next. Any one have a decent trunk pan I can get? Located near Lake City Florida.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Roscomacaw
04-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Well, wouldn't ya know it. Me in California with a really gorgeous ass end off a 55 coupe. Amazing in that it set for eons with no deck lid and yet it has most of it's original paint intact on the trunk floor.
Fact is, there's an old wrecking yard that was forced to close in nearby Fresno. On my last visit there, I asked the yard owner if he'd cut the ass end of a 55 coupe off for me to save, since it would eventually get smashed.[V] He did so for me but I never have claimed it. I know it's still there and even tho the yard's officially shut down, I could claim it if I wanted. $50 bucks, thank you.[:0]
There's also a good number of solid Lark and sedan front fenders and other sheet metal there as well. I once toyed with the idea of buying it all - the guy gives me a great price every time - and making some moola selling it off over time. But I've had issues with the neighbors here about my "junk cars" even tho you have to trespass on adjoining farmland to see what I have here. That, coupled with the hassle of shipping sheet metal, has kept me from being the savior of the stuff. Even tho I know full well, the escalating value of solid early Lark front fenders.:(
I sure wish there was a way we could get this coupe rear section to you but I think the obstacles are insurmountable.
I might add that if any of us on this forum are travelling long distance and have room (say, like a PU truck or a car trailer) we might think about helping out one another. Of course, offering to help out with gas money can be a REAL incentive with the cost of gas like it is![xx(]

Miscreant at large.

Kdancy
04-21-2005, 11:47 AM
yea, wouldn't you know it!
I just replaced the rocker panel on the drivers side and fixed the screwed up floor repair. Also would like to get a pair of rockers if anyone has an extra set or even a single. Yea, I would be glad to help out with "gas" to get the rear here! I'll tackle the trunk area when I get the sheet metal to replace it.
One thing I learned big time, I will never buy another Stude without putting the car up and looking underneath the floor pans. You could not tell what a screwed up job this was by looking under the carpet,as they hid all the rusted rotten metal by overlaying it.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Sonny
04-21-2005, 12:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Well, wouldn't ya know it. Me in California with a really gorgeous ass end off a 55 coupe. Amazing in that it set for eons with no deck lid and yet it has most of it's original paint intact on the trunk floor.
Fact is, there's an old wrecking yard that was forced to close in nearby Fresno. On my last visit there, I asked the yard owner if he'd cut the ass end of a 55 coupe off for me to save, since it would eventually get smashed.[V] He did so for me but I never have claimed it. I know it's still there and even tho the yard's officially shut down, I could claim it if I wanted. $50 bucks, thank you.[:0]
There's also a good number of solid Lark and sedan front fenders and other sheet metal there as well....... <SNIP>
Miscreant at large.

I suuuure could use the firewall from a '51 ;):)

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Studenut65
04-21-2005, 01:55 PM
I sure could use front fenders for a 1960 Lark Convertible. While we're at it, I wouldn't mind having the bottom half of the doors and possibly the rocker panels....hmmm. Got any Convertibles out there Mr. Biggs...[8)].

Nate

Kdancy
04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Are the convertable ones different than the non convertable body's?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Studenut65
04-21-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't think that the fenders are any different...in fact, I'm almost sure that they aren't. As far as the doors and rockers, could I use them off of a two door model? I just need the bottom half of the doors b/c water must have sat in there and just ate the bottoms out. If I can just use doors and rockers from a two door, that would make my day...a lot easier to find than a convertible.

Nate

dpson
04-21-2005, 04:07 PM
There are two diffences that I know of in the front fenders of the convertibles. First the outer fender has a small bracket welded on the wheel opening flange that a brace to the firewall bolts to. This bracket can be removed from your old fender and welded to a non-convertible fender. Second if you have a complete front fender with the headlight panel and inner fender, the headlight panel has a metal bracket welded to it that holds the cast iron weights that were used only on the convertibles (and possibly the wagons). Again you can take one off your old fender (or do as I did and have a sheet metal shop make one up) and weld it onto a non-convertible front fender. BTW SASCO still lists one side (left?) of the '60 convetible front fenders in there inventory listing. Check the parts book for the part number its different from the other fenders. You may want to call first to confirm they still have them in stock. The are about $295 as I recall.

1960 Lark Convertible
1962 GT Hawk

Roscomacaw
04-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Sonny (and others) - we CAN save some of this stuff, but while the pieces themselves are relatively cheap, this place DOES NOT ship. THAT MEANS - what ever got "saved" would be, in no small part, due to my efforts. And I'm willing to do such, but I have to get SOME compensation and of course, reimbursement for whatever shipping would be involved.
Contrary to any idea that might have developed that I sit at a keyboard all day, I DO have a life (and a wife too!). So things get done according to priority and time available.
As Dan's said, 59-60 Lark front fenders are pretty much the same save for a couple minor brackets for ragtops. Likewise, 2-door doors COULD be scavenged to supply repair panels for a ragtop. And this yard WOULD remove firewalls, door chunks, what have you. But I'd have to have MONEY up front and I'd be open to whatever way we could ship it so long as I got compensated for my time and travels. Greyhound HAS handled some BIG stuff for me and done a fair job of it for about as cheap as one could hope for.
But it's gotta be EASY for me or I'm NOT gonna get involved. I can't even find time to work on my own 53 coupe of late. But to save stuff for a Studee, I'd work to some degree.[:I] but not to the point of busting my backside fer nada.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
04-22-2005, 12:27 AM
Oh heck, no problem Bob, I just got all lathered up when ya told us about that old junkyard. I've been lookin' for a '51 firewall for over a year now and a place like that would be pure heaven here! Ya can't tell us parts starved, right coasters, about those places! [:p]:D

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

Kdancy
04-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Bob, we fully understand that. Bottom line, what will you charge me for the 55 rear? I would never expect some one to do the work of cutting one up or getting the "yard" to do it for nothing. Shipping would probably ax the deal but who knows?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Studenut65
04-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Bob,
That is understandable. I would be doing the same thing as far as money up front. Especially if I was going to go out to the yard and start cutting parts off cars. Anyhow, thank you for the info about the doors and fenders. My second thought. How far away are you from Spokane. I wonder if we could just make a quick trip down to this yard while at the international meet? Is this a long trip? Im here on the east coast and am not familiar with the west coast that much. Anyhow, thanks again for taking the time here on the site to keep our cars going. Take care.

Nate

Roscomacaw
04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Kerry, that rear section would cost me 50 to 75 bucks if I know Ronald (the yard owner) (BTW, he's got a complete and solid 64 Challenger 4-door that could probably be bought for $300 to $400 bucks - someone dropped a GM 6 in it, but that could be remedied - or not- and you'd have a super-solid Lark to play with. He just happens to be a holding depot for one of the old car haulers that comes thru the valley occassionaly)
Anyway, it'd take me going up to the yard and back (120 miles round trip) with the Transtar, and then figuring out how we'd ship the thing and what, if any, "packing" I'd have to come up with and apply before it got sent off. I'm gonna call Ronald this morning and confirm that it's still there and waiting for me (I'm 99% certain it is tho[^])
Unfortuneately, the yards way more than a "day trip" from Spokane. I WILL say that I'd considered bringing a load of sheet metal to Spokane in the Transtar, with maybe a trailer-load in tow. But I don't know how well it would sell in the NW quarter of the country. If it was rust belt - I know I'd unload every piece[}:)] But NW - I just don't know. And it all comes down to bucks[V] - especially with the price of a gallon of petroleum distillates[:0] Besides that, I'm still clinging to the idea of driving my 53 coupe to the meet.[8]
What's the consensus here as to my luck of carting a bunch of solid metal to Spokane and having it be worth my while???[?]

Miscreant at large.