PDA

View Full Version : 63 GT rear axles

kmul221
04-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I want to change the Dana 44 (3:54 ratio) to a Dana 27(3:07 ratio) to improve gas milage in my 63 GT automatic what should I be aware of if I do a straight swap;are the dimensions the same,or will there have to be modifications made ?I have a complete rear-end assembly so I hope to just switch them.

Transtar60
04-18-2005, 04:13 PM
At the very least the driveshaft will have to be modified. Check the parts book, the spring plate u bolts will be different(axle tube smaller on D-27).
The 27 is a marginal beast, I ripped the gears out of one in my 65 Commander 194 cid six cylinder. You will have to tread very lightly indeed to make it live.

Dan White
04-18-2005, 07:59 PM
You might want to see if you can get a set of 3:07 or thereabouts gears for a Dana 44 instead of replacing it with a marginal solution. I am not sure what the fuel savings will be between the two ratios but I am guessing it is not a lot, unless this is your daily driver. The other thing, although it may not matter to you, is you are also giving up performance, since the 3:07 is going to be a slug off the line, especially if you have a manual trans., and with the Stude automatic starting in second gear????

Dan White
64 R1 GT
64 R2 GT

N8N
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I think that was a stock ratio for a 56J with automatic if you converted to 1st gear start it might not be too bad but certainly wouldn't win any drag races

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Really, only an automatic will work with the 3.07 and be tolerable to drive. Sure, it's not gonna win races but then who races from every stoplight? This fella's concerned about gas mileage. Doesn't sound lead-footish to me.[}:)]
I've had a type 27 under my V8 convertible since 1988. It's served me well. And I'm not exactly a light-foot with that car.
Nate's got a point tho - about different sized U-bolts and the spring plates they fit into. And there's gonna be a different length to the driveshaft too.:( To use the 27 axle, you'll need a shaft that's a bit longer.[^]
other'n different u-bolts & plates and a longer driveshaft, the brakes would swap right across, no sweat.;)

Miscreant at large.

Sonny
04-19-2005, 12:55 AM
Actually fellas, I dunno about needing to do anything to the drive shaft. I swapped a 27 out for a 44 under my Lark, and never did anything but push the drive shaft about an inch further into the Fliteomatic transmission. I do believe Studebaker even had drive shaft compatibility covered!

With the 44 installed in my Lark, there’s about a good inch and a half of yoke exposed, so the front yoke doesn't hit the tranny on big bumps. I think you'll find that there's just about an inch more of the front yoke shaft showing if you put a 27 into a previously 44 equipped car, with no adverse results. ‘Course, I’d just change gears in the 44 anyway, not swap in a 27, but that’s just me.....

I'd try that drive shaft before I had it lengthened. Remember, it's a LOT cheaper to have it shortened than to make it longer.....;):D

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

64Avanti
04-19-2005, 01:03 AM
I wouldn't use Dana 27 with a V8 unless I was stuck somewhere and that was the only rear end I could find. It shouldn't be that hard to find a set of 3.07 gears.

David L

1949commander
04-19-2005, 09:22 AM
You should be-able to get about any gear ratio for a Dana 44, they used them in about all independent makes, AMC used them in Jeeps and of course they still make the 44 today in a slightly different config its in the current Wrangler and Nissan uses them in the Titan with a HD housing.

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Sonny
04-19-2005, 01:06 PM
quote:Originally posted by 64Avanti

I wouldn't use Dana 27 with a V8 unless I was stuck somewhere and that was the only rear end I could find. It shouldn't be that hard to find a set of 3.07 gears.

David L

I'd say that you're right on there David. Most everybody else is trying to find 3.54 gears. Mebbe somebody would wanna swap? The 3.07 gears will work just fine in the automatic car, but I really do like the 3.54 behind the auto, it sure works for me.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com