This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To shim or not to shim?

With the Turner disc brakes on the '62 Hawk, the rims do not clear the caliper mechanism. It is close enough that a couple of washers on each stud may bring the rim out just enough to make work. Anyone tried this or is it a bad idea?

John

'62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach

IF you don't end up with some lug stud protruding thru the lug nuts, it's a bad idea. Besides that, washers are notoriously imperfect as to thickness. Just putting an equal number on each stud does not insure your wheels will run true. If there's ROOM for wheel clearance with respect to the fenders, buy sure enough spacers to do this. There's a number of alternate wheels that will clear the calipers and still carry full disc Hawk hubcaps.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yeah what biggs said about your washer theory is bad idea unless you have a set of dial calipers and alot of washers and can find 10 washers that are exactely the same thickness

i speak from experience on this one my dad andi built a 32 ford pickup with a mustang 2 frontend under it and for some reason one of the american torque thrust rubbed the caliper so we spaced em with washers and it shimmied real bad so we torn it down and two washer were ten thousandth thinner (i wouldnt have thought ten thousandth would make a diff but i did ) so we cut on a lathe 5 new exact thickness washers and prob solved

to make everything short i would also suggest store bought wheel spacers or a solution like the one i described ( 10 exact thinkness washers)

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I'll just keep looking for new rims.
        John

'62 Hawk
        '30 Chev Coach
        sigpicJohn Esmonde
        Holland Landing, Ontario
        Canada
        \'62 Hawk
        \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
        \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

I had a machine shop make me a set of spacers for the rear end of a Camaro that I am building. They were cut out on a cnc lathe from 6061 aluminum to my specs. I then added 1/2" studes but you would not have to do that for the small amount of spacing you need, however you may need to add longer studs. Do a search on wheel spacers.

53commander HDTP
          53 Champion HDTP
          64 Champ long bed V8
          64 GT
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Working...
          X