PDA

View Full Version : Rods for Studebaker

64Avanti
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I am interested in knowing how many people would be interested in some high performance rods for the Stude? The price for custom rods from Carrillo is about $2400 to someone in the business and about $2700 retail. So these aren't something that everyone would want.

However if I could get some good H-Beam rods for somewhere between $750 and $1000 that would be good for 750 Hp how many would be interested? These would use Chevy bearings so you would save about $70 on a set of bearings anytime you needed to replace them. The other potential here is to go to a slightly longer rod to reduce the compression height of the piston which would reduce the weight of the piston.

David L

Kdancy
04-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Dave, check with Nimesh as he recently purchase an after market set and got a better deal than the Carrillo but don't remember who made them. Nimesh Solanki

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

64Avanti
04-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Kdancy, thanks I will check with him. I have 3 other vendors that will make rods for between $1200 and $1600 and perhaps one who will donate the rods.

I am also serious about getting multiple sets of rods built for somewhere in the $750 to $1000 range. There is a high likelyhood that the price could go as low as $600, if I could get at least 45 people or have people willing to purchase 45 sets. If there were only 30 people then the price would need to be about $850.

David L

Mike Van Veghten
04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
If you're looking into "I" beam rods, I'll join in.

I've talked to a couple of rod manufactures. C&A want in the $1200 range. Steel or alum., didn't matter.

I spoke with Cunningham Rods and they wanted $2200 for a std. type steel "I" beam.

Crower, simmilar to C&A.

64Avanti
04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Mike, I prefer H beam rods but would consider either type. Why do you prefere the I beam type? In principal the I beam rods should be less expensive but I doubt you would see a significant difference in price for a full custom set. I have spoken to just about every rod manufacturer in the U.S. and the price for custom rods range from about $1200 to $2700 per set.

David L

Kdancy
04-20-2005, 05:46 AM
David, why such a difference in pricing?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

Kdancy
04-20-2005, 05:48 AM
What is your plans for headers?

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT

64Avanti
04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I think the major difference in price is name. Carrillo has the reputation for making the best rods. The others compete somewhat with each other and in general sell rods between $1250 and $1600. The range also includes the difference between retail and wholesale prices.

I haven't decided what to do about headers. Because of time I think I would just like to get a set of R3 manifolds. I no longer have any (Well I have one that has the alternator bracket support cast in for a Hawk or Lark.) but I see several people offering them for sale. I don't know if they are all from one source or what but would like to know who is actually making them and what they are using for tooling.

At one point I considered casting some steel elbow like parts that would bolt to the head to which you could weld tubing. The cast elbow parts would take care of getting the fairly sharp bend that you usually need to clear everything on a Studebaker. Anywhay that was only a thought.

David L

imported_n/a
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I would be interested in a set of rods if the price gets below $1,000. Oliver makes some very nice rods. I have used them in a 434" small block Chevy. Some aftermarket rods get very heavy. They may be strong but heavy so be mindful of that. Carrillo and Oliver are strong but engineered to be light. H beams will be lighter than I beams strength being equal.
Header tubes can be formed tight at the flange. The right front and left rear need to be tight. The trouble with R3 cast manifolds is the collector ID is only 2 1/8. They still work good but become a restriction with a good set of heads

JP

64Avanti
04-20-2005, 11:50 PM
I have always given vendors of rods a maximum weight when I have asked for quotes and purchase to a specified weight. If there are enough people interested I will complete a design and use FEA to verify and modify the design if required.

I know that the R3 collector size is a potential limiting factor but time is short. Dave Bloomberg's Avanti uses them and has gone over 200. Next year I will have time to consider alternatives and get some dyno time to verify changes.

David L

Kdancy
04-21-2005, 04:44 AM
http://headersbyed.com/
Ed makes a header flange kit for the Stude V8.

53commander HDTP
53 Champion HDTP
64 Champ long bed V8
64 GT