PDA

View Full Version : engine switch - wagon to pickup

imported_n/a
04-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a '63 daytona wagon and a '62 champ. I need the champ and the wagon has (i think) frame problems. Can I switch the drive train (engine, autotrans and drive shaft) to the truck? Will it all fit?[:I] The truck is a long bed and has a joint (term?)[:I] in the middle of the shaft. The length of the transmissions, or should I say the differences thereof, is my concern.[8]
I have need of the truck and it's motor is dead.:( This would be only a temporary fix so no modifications would be very welcome.[V] I'm looking for a switch in/out.
Is this possible?

Lotsa Larks!!
Studeclunker
Ron Smith

Transtar60
04-13-2005, 09:50 PM
The length of the slip yoke may have to be changed as the Wagon used a one piece drive shaft and the truck would have as you pointed out a two piece. Or you could dump the stock driveshaft and have a one piece made.

You didnt say what drive train the truck has now(6 or V8) (standard or automatic)
Other than that the tranny mounts may give you some head scratching but the as long as you use the truck engine mounts on the engine(speaking of V8, dont know about 6 ) that will fit. They
may look the same but they arent.

imported_n/a
04-13-2005, 11:36 PM
oookayyy. That means that the shaft from the wagon won't work, right?:( And yes, they are both V-8's.

Lotsa Larks!!
Studeclunker
Ron Smith

Roscomacaw
04-14-2005, 11:51 AM
That's correct, Ron. the driveshaft from the wagon won't work and the front section of the truck's driveshaft will need to be modified by a driveline shop to work with the car tranny. Such work isn't that expensive. At least that's been my experience here.
I recently had to have the front DS section reworked for a late Champ. They cut and welded on it, balanced it and replaced the center bearing since it was lots more convenient for them to do it than me! And the work came out to less than a hundred & a half! :D
You MAY need to take along the wagon shaft so they can scavenge the front yoke to use in modifying the truck's shaft.
Hey, thanks for making me look into this. I'd never been sure whether the trucks used the same bellhousing (for an automatic) as the cars - now I know they did. The rear mounts LOOK like car type in the parts book illustration but they carry a different part #. That said, the vendors all offer the same rear mounts for auto trans pickups as they do for late V8 cars. So these parts from the wagon should work fine in the truck. The KEY piece to pulling this off (assuming the truck was a standard shift to start with) is the special bracket that adapts the Champs rear engine crossmember to the auto tranny mounts. A part# 1692223. (which SASCO doesn't show in stock online:() BUT - this shouldn't be hard to fudge once you get the engine/tranny slung in the Champ's engine bay and secured to the two front mounts.[^] Of course, IF the Champ WAS an auto-tranny truck to star with, you're in like Flynn![:0]

Miscreant at large.

imported_n/a
04-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks guys!!:)

Lotsa Larks!!
Studeclunker
Ron Smith