PDA

View Full Version : 1950 champion engine

james
04-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Will an engine from a manual shift fit up to an automatic transmisson?

james l arnold

JDP
04-11-2005, 10:06 PM
Yes, but you'll have to 'dial in' the bell housing to the new engine. I'm not sure if you to to swap the flywheel bolts on a 50. On later cars the stuck shight cars have longer bolts.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
55 Speedster
50 2R 10 truck

Roscomacaw
04-11-2005, 10:44 PM
As JDP says, an automatic of that era will fit up (this would be a DG-150 transmission), but you have to custom fit the alignment of the bell housing to the engine. It'll bolt right up - no problem, but it won't be precisely aligned. And this means you'll be lucky to get many miles out of the installation before the spring steel flex plate cracks and ultimately fails[xx(] Once you do the alignment proceedure, you have to redrill the bellhousing to install new locator pins to maintain the alignment. I usually use roll pins to do this as opposed to the tapered pins they used originally.
And too - you do indeed have to change the 6 bolts at the rear of the crankshaft!:( This means pulling the oil pan off and removing the rear main bearing cap. If you do this, it would be a good time to change the rear main oil seal![:0]
BTW, you could mount up a later Flight-o-matic tranny and torque convertor if so desired. These are alot easier to get repaired if need be. But you'll have to get the rlevant bellhousing and a 12volt starter to go with it as the teeth of the 6volt starter won't work with the teeth on the later tranny's torque convertor.;)

Miscreant at large.

james
04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Thank you JDP and MR. Biggs in regards to the 50 Champion engine and transmission. Another question. How does one dial in the
bell housing? The automatic is the original from new. I think it was manufactured by Borg-Warner. Thanks ahead of time.
Ps. The reason for switching engines is that I have an engine from a car that was standard shift that has been completely redone by a machine shop ie. rebored, new pistons, etc., etc.

james l arnold

N8N
04-28-2005, 09:54 PM
here's a generic procedure

http://mrgasket.com/pdf/97140222.pdf

but I don't believe there are offset dowels available for Studes so just lightly snug the bellhousing to the engine with NO dowels installed and tap it around until the dial indicator says it's centered, then if the holes aren't lined up, just drill new ones next to the originals.

You may need to swap the bolts in the rear crank flange as well, as others have mentioned

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel