This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake spring part #?

I got the Raybestos #, H1162, for the brake hold down spring from the tech tips link here. But when I went to NAPA and they put it in the computer to get their parts # what it gave the, 80215, was the # for a clip rather than a spring. Anyone run into this before or have any other help? The reason I think I need the spring is because one of the rear wheels is sometimes heating up and I'm thinking a weak spring would allow the shoe yo hang up causing the brake to heat up and the rotten millage I've been getting. Thanks in advance...

Dana

Oops, almost forgot to tell you it's a 59 Lark V-8.

Comment

the hold down spring *is* a clip looking thing. It may be the right part. Look at the illustration on page 309 of your chassis parts book, arrow no. 1101-44-3. If you have coil springs on there now you probably need new stock length "nails" (1101-44-1) as well to make everything work right. There's no real problem with the coil springs, they're just different.

Or are you talking about the *return* spring? (1101-15)

sorry, I don't have any numbers for either...

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      62 Daytona hardtop
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I have an old NAPA brake parts book. 80897 is the number for the hold down spring. Nate's right in that it looks like a clip but it's spring steel. The "nail" that it clips to is 80704. They have a number for an "Axle service kit" which would offer enough to do either the front or rear wheels - that number is 80429.

The return springs, are Napa # 80321

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you, I'll take another look at my service manual and hopefully I or my mechanic will be able to figure this out before my drums get damaged.

Comment

Working...
          X