PDA

View Full Version : Dash Board Replacement

PalmerGA
04-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Greetings all. New member here.

I have a 63 Daytona Convertible in very nice shape... except for the padded dash. I have hunted for a used or NOS dash with no success. I looked into "Just Dashes", but they want $800 to make me a new one. I suppose that's not too bad, considering. I was wondering though, about these Dash Caps that I see in Stude International catalogs and in Turning Wheels magazine. Can anyone tell me about these? Do you remove your existing dash and replace with this "Cap"? Do they look good?

Thanks for any help.

'63 Daytona Convertible

Roscomacaw
04-10-2005, 04:55 PM
It goes on over your existing dash pad. I've not seen one installed. I imagine it's better than a cracked and shrunken dash tho.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

Studeblazer
04-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Hello I made my own for my 62 Champ...A Good vinyl, spray glue and lots of clamps....

I can e-mail you a pic if you like..

Joel LaRue

PalmerGA
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'd like to see those pix, Studeblazer... sounds like you're very innovative. Thank you as well, Mr. Biggs. Anyone else know about the Dash Caps?

'63 Daytona Convertible

62champ
04-11-2005, 12:50 PM
I tried the dash cap on my 62 Lark about 10 years back. Did not fit correctly. Wanted to bow and twist. Someone with a truck load of desire probably could have made it look alright. I would think the '63 would be more difficult.

Might hold out for someone in our northern clims to come up with something. They catch hell from the rust, but the soft stuff stays soft. Saw a 64 wagon in South Bend junk yard once that you could shake the whole side of the car with the door post - dash looked beautiful.

If you are not too concerned with being 100% correct, you could always install a 64-66 dash in the car.

Keep you eyes peeled and good luck.

My 7E7 - Restored by my Uncle Denson in 1995
http://www.georgetown.txed.net/faculty/tippit/fuchs/Champ.jpg

PalmerGA
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks 62!

'63 Daytona Convertible

casey
04-12-2005, 04:14 PM
SASCO sells a dash pad that fits 64-66. Green is the only color. I bought one for my '64, installed it to the existing dash frame and dyed it. It turned out very well. But your '63 is slightly different; the glove box door I believe. If you could live with a '64 dash this would be a good solution.

Roscomacaw
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
The 64 dash would fit alright. But you have to have a WHOLE 64-66 dash to work with. You can't just fit a 64 cover and glove box to a 63 dash assembly.
For some reason, the 63 dash pads "went south" worse than the 64-66 editions. A 63 dash pad that hasn't cracked or shrunk is a RARE thing indeed![:0]
I have never tried a "cap" of any sort. But it seems to me that if a dash pad has srunken, warped, split or twisted over time, it's gonna be damned hard to make a cap fit with any degree of accuracy or good appearance[}:)]

Miscreant at large.

Studenut65
04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
I bet if you'd start producing original style dashes for these larks, you'd have a lot of people wanting them. It might be a good business to look into...haha. I have a 1965 Commander and the man that owned it before me, the original owner, took great care of the car. It has a small half-inch crack in the dash right by the speaker that is barely noticable and I remember the judges in Charlotte mentioning how nice the dash was. I got lucky but wish there was a way to stop the dash from cracking more. I wonder how hard it would be to get old dashes and completey redo them and sell them? Who knows.

Nate

PalmerGA
04-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I've been told, as others here have said, that ONLY a 63 Daytona two door dash will fit in my car... not even a four door version will fit, which effectively eliminates a whole bunch of possible "donors". I'm very tempted to go with the "Just Dashes" treatment and be done with it (modern materials that won't crack). I'm a bit leary about it though, since I'm thinking of selling the car and going after an older (57 - 61) Hawk. Decisions, decisions.

'63 Daytona Convertible

Roscomacaw
04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
That's "rubbish"! 2-door, 4-door, low level trim, high level trim. ALL 63 car dashes (except Hawks of course![:o)]) will fit your 63. Fact is, 64-5-6 will too![:0] They just won't have the same glove box configuration and they'll have some minor appearance detail variations;)

Miscreant at large.

Roscomacaw
04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Studenut65, I've got two 63 dashes here that you can have to start your business! :D They might sell well (relatively speaking) as the 63s are a popular model of Stude.

All the 63 thru 66 Dashes had a propensity to crack at the corners of the speaker![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

Studenut65
04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Gee thanx Mr. Biggs. I might be willing to try that out if I had some extra time on my hands...haha...it seems to me that college is taking up a lot of my time. I even tried to have my dash repaired by a local shop a few years back but decided its better to leave it alone. Ill let you know if Im looking to keep myself busy...but somehow, I think that between our two larks, Ill have my hands full. Thanks for the offer. PalmerGA, if you decide to go with the "Just Dashes", let us know how it turns out...maybe some pictures. I'd be interested in seeing a restored dash. With my lark dash being the maroon color that it is, I always put a sun visor up...[8D]

Nate