This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Forumer with a Question...

Greetings Studebaker lovers. I've been an SDC member for about five years, right after I bought my 1963 Daytona Convertible. I grew up around Studebakers. My father had many and I am now on my second one. My first was a '63 Daytona 2-door Hardtop back in high school (69-72). I guess the one I have now is an attempt to recapture my youth .

Anyway, except for the spoke hubcaps, the car is all original... 289 Power Pack w/ 3 on the tree OD tranny. It's a good looker and a good runner. I have had some problems with the ignition system though and am considering going to an electronic ignition kit. I have been to Pertronix website but don't see a listing for my distributer (Delco 1110854). Can anyone point me to the ignition kit that I need?

Thanks y'all, and I look forward to participating in the forum.

Okay.... how do I post a picture from my hard drive?

'63 Daytona Convertible

If you've got the "window type" Delco - that has the little lift-up window to set dwell, it takes the Pertronix #1181 kit. Pretty easy to install. I've been running one in my Transtar now for over a year. It made a noticable improvement in how the truck runs.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Biggs. Unfortunately, I do not have the window-type distributer. The search continues...

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

By rights, your car should have had a Prestolite distributor when new. Somewhere along the way, someone's changed the one in your car. If it's not a window type, it's likely the Delco that was used prior to 1962 in some cars. That distributor (and I think your number 1110854 is one digit off - it should be 1110864) 1110864, uses Pertronix kit 1187LSCC and that's a fairly new Pertronix number. The earlier Pertronix number was 1188 or 1188LSCC[^]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:From Mr. Biggs:"That distributor (and I think your number 1110854 is one digit off - it should be 1110864)..."
          I think you may be correct, Mr. Biggs. The little aluminum band around the shaft has had some abuse and my aging eyes may have mistaken a "6" for a "5". I'll check it out this evening. Thanks.

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

quote:I think you may be correct, Mr. Biggs. The little aluminum band around the shaft has had some abuse and my aging eyes may have mistaken a "6" for a "5". I'll check it out this evening. Thanks.
            Right you are, Mr. B.... it's a "6". Thanks for the info and the correction.
            jsp

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

I'm glad I could help. Actualy, I got the info from a Studebaker parts vendor that handles the Pertronix units for our cars. Since you're gonna buy one, it would be nice if you'd buy it thru him and help yet one more Stude parts vendor supply us with the stuff we need to keep our cars up and running!
              I'm gonna E-mail you that vendor's contact info so you can deal with him if you want to.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

I will do that, Mr. Biggs. Thanks.

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                X