X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Jeep topload shift on a Stude overdrive

Good Morning

Since I finally have time to work on an extended cab project based upon a 63-66 station wagon body after many years of commuting to work (my current job is only five minutes from the house)I have been thinking about what to use for a light duty truck since I have a couple of OHV sixs and a number of transmissions.

I had a thought about transmissions... I have a couple of T-86/90 overdrives down in the barn. Has anyone engineered a transmission to accept a Jeep topload shifter and also rigged a switch, say mounted on the shift handle, to manually kick the od in and out at a flick of a switch?

I wiil be nice to work on the old Studes again after a multi year break

Jeff

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.

Yeah, Jeff. the Jeep shifter conversion's been done numerous times. There's some small detail about modifying the forks I think. You could ask Ted Harbit. I sold him a Jeep shifter for a friend of his and he'd mentioned what had to be done to use it.
    As to the OD switch, I know YOU could devise something for that!

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've done it many times, Studebaker plant 8 even sold it as a 'kit'. You need remove or cut out the side forks. ( I would just cut them off), than you need too elongate two of the end bolt holes before bolting the top shifter on. BTW, it only works with the 6 bolt top cover.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
      63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
      55 Speedster
      50 2R 10 truck
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
      X