PDA

View Full Version : after market whells

danweb
04-09-2005, 06:10 PM
what bolt pattern will i need to get to put chrome wheels on my 62 gt hawk? thanks for all the info:D

Transtar60
04-09-2005, 08:01 PM
4 1/2" on 5. Watch your back spacing!! I'm sure your local wheel and tire dealer will help you with that, If hes any good.

johnesmonde
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Dan, what kind of wheels are you looking for? I have a 62 Hawk also and need new wheels because I switched over to Turner disc brakes. I found 15x6 of an 89 grande Marquis fit ok but 15x61/2 of a 93 G.Marquis seemed too tight for comfort. I'm currently looking to try Dodge Rallye wheels to see how they fit and have a line on a set that I may get to see tomorrow.

John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

danweb
04-09-2005, 10:40 PM
I`m looking to put reverse chrome rims with baby mooms on my GT.
They`ve always been my favorites. Thanks for the help guys.:)
quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

Dan, what kind of wheels are you looking for? I have a 62 Hawk also and need new wheels because I switched over to Turner disc brakes. I found 15x6 of an 89 grande Marquis fit ok but 15x61/2 of a 93 G.Marquis seemed too tight for comfort. I'm currently looking to try Dodge Rallye wheels to see how they fit and have a line on a set that I may get to see tomorrow.

John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Sonny
04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by danweb

I`m looking to put reverse chrome rims with baby mooms on my GT.
They`ve always been my favorites. Thanks for the help guys.:)

I'm lookin' for the same wheels for my Lark too. They're called "smoothies" now and hard as hell to find. I never found ANY at all of the swap meets that I went to last year, and none of the wheel guys had them either. I checked the local tire stores and they were expensive, about $80.00 each. I DID find some in either the Summit or Jegs catalog, at a reasonable price.

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

N8N
04-09-2005, 10:58 PM
like transtar60 said, watch your offset. Ideal would be zero offset or even 1/2" or so to the inside. The stock wheels were offset about 1/2" to the inside IIRC.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

johnesmonde
04-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Can someone explain offset to me? I'm a bit confused.

Thanks, John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

Alan
04-10-2005, 11:42 PM
[quote]Originally posted by johnesmonde

Thanks, John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach
It is the difference between the center of the wheel looking from as it rolls down the road to the face on the inside of the wheel that sits on the drum. AJ

rusty nut garage
04-11-2005, 10:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Alan

[quote]Originally posted by johnesmonde

Thanks, John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach
It is the difference between the center of the wheel looking from as it rolls down the road to the face on the inside of the wheel that sits on the drum. AJ

check this site
[^]
http://wheeltool.com/info/offset.html

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
57 SH (project)
60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

johnesmonde
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys! By the way Russ, I belong to a car club in Holland Landing, Ont. called 'The Rusty Nuts'. Motto is: Classic car owners don't get old........they just get rusty nuts. Go figure!

John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

johnesmonde
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Nate and Transtar 60, I now understand offset but am not clear what to look for when you say 'watch your offset'. I assumed that as long as a rim had clearance side to side it could be used. I tried a 61/2 inch rim off a 93 Grand Marquis that barely had clearance and a 6 inch off an '89 that seemed better. I don't have either rim at the moment to check the offset.
Thanks, John

'62 Hawk
'30 Chev Coach

N8N
04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
I can tell you that a 7" wide wheel with 3" backspace is about the absolute max you can cram under the rear fenders. 3.5" backspace, or a 6" wide wheel, would be WAY better.

A 6" wide wheel with zero offset fits on the front, but the inside of the tire kisses the sway bar bracket at full lock. This is with 14" wheels just FYI.

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel