This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHEEL STUDS

I NEED HELP! THE TIRE STORE YESTERDAY BROKE ONE OF THE LUG STUDS OFF OF MY LEFT REAR WHEEL. THEY SAID IT WAS A LEFT HAND THREAD AND THEY DIDN`T KNOW IT. DON`T KNOW IF THEY WERE RIGHT OR NOT. WERE THERE ANY OFF OTHER CARS THAT WILL FIT? OR DO I ORDER ONE OUT OF CATALOG?
    IF SO NEED TO KNOW WHAT YEAR VEHICLE WILL FIT? THANKS [8]

Yes the studs are left hand thread on the driver side , we got ours from a stude supplier in texas.....be very carfull about changing the studs when you get one they are very tight in the drum and you can worp the drum if you dont support it from the bottom when removing the old one. a deep well socket works good, I recomend pressing it out with a press . the same goes when installing the new one sopport the drum with a deep well socket on the oppisite side...also , you will need a puller for the brake drum that attatches to the lug studs NOT THE OUT SIDE OF THE DRUM, that will also warp the drum...let me know if you need a phone # for the parts you need...

Comment

You can go to the trouble of finding LH thread lug studs if you like. That Studebaker eventually quit using them says something. It would probably be quicker to change all five studs with RH thread ones which might be easy to find locally. As gibber says, it needs to be done by a place that has the appropriate tools and experience in changing studs. And they DO need the appropriate puller to remove those hub/drum assemblies from the rear axle. Let one buffoon mechanic[)] remove them HIS way and you WILL be in trouble[V] Whether he gets them off or not![:0]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Sounds like you have been there Mr B...Me too ...lol , actually it wan'nt funny at the time...

Comment

Thanks guys.[8D] I think I`ll take Mr. Biggs advice and switch to rh threads. by the way do you know if 3 inch diameter gabriel air shocks will fit on a 62 GT HAWK?[:I]

Comment

I just recently changed the left side wheel studs on my '58 Hawk to RH thread. I am also going to alloy wheels, so there's some extra thickness of the wheel to deal with, but I found the Pick-N-Nut #98180 to work well for me. They were close to the .625 diameter that the old studs were, but had serations that that were ~.650. The drums were not interfernce fit but so close I feel they'll be OK as modern drums fit in a slide over manner.

Comment

Yeah some folks have replaced studs and just had them swedged (the studs) to the hub and not the drum. As you say, it allows easy access to the brakes without having to fight to get the hubs off the axles.
              Some years ago, I went to GM wheels on my 57 Transtar. I had to have longer studs installed to accomodate the different style wheels.

Miscreant at large.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X