PDA

View Full Version : 62 Hawk Upper Trim

mjeansonne
04-07-2005, 07:38 AM
I am doing body work on the 62 Hawk. I need to remove the trim on the top of the fenders. How do I do this without damaging everything. Looking at the catalog it appears as though you could "pry" them off?? Gently tried this, but it didn't "feel" right. Perhaps I have to go beneath the fender (and door) and "unscrew" them? Suggestions PLEASE!!!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

N8N
04-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Open the door and try to slide the trim towards the rear of the car. Might help to remove the little parking light/fender spear things first. Tap with a brass hammer as a last resort.

good luck,

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Roscomacaw
04-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Front fenders or rear or both? The rear fender stainless does snap onto the clips that hold it. They fit tight - as you'd want them to![}:)] Since clip nuts are used (talking REAR fenders here), you can't undo the fasteners from underneath.:( Ideally, you need a putty knife with about a 1" blade. Tail light bodies removed - start at the rear - feel along the edge of one moulding. You should be able to get an idea of where the clips are holding the moulding tight. Right next to that point, carefully insert the thin blade of the putty knife. Then lift the handle until the moulding pops off the clip. Proceed to the next one and so on until the moulding's off all the clips (there's 7 or 8 clips to a side)The front section of this "chrome" is the dogleg that's made of pot metal. Once you get the stainless part popped off the clips, it'll pull off that pot metal section and reveal a screw that holds said dogleg in place. Obviously, you can't get to that screw until the stainless is off. The little forward section of stainless (forward of the pot metal dogleg piece) uses the typical spring wire trim clips - two of them. Work from the front of this piece, towards the dogleg piece. When it's off, you'll see the other screw that holds the dogleg piece in place.
The front fenders have the spring steel wire moulding clips retaining them. While you MIGHT be able to slide the trim off these clips as Nate suggests, it would be easier and quicker to use that thin, flat putty knife again, and just pop each clip up out of it's hole. If the trim's been on for years, it may be reluctant to pop up OR it make come easily as the clips might fall apart from rusting. The little points at the very front, are held on with two palnuts that have to be undone from underneath. Usually they're a real pain because of undercoating or a lack thereof!:(
The door pieces are held on with the spring wire type clips. Get that putty knife under them (close to where said clips are)and pop them up - one clip at a time.;)

Miscreant at large.

mjeansonne
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try taking them off this weekend.

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker