PDA

View Full Version : 51 Land Cruiser Clock mods-UPDATE

Commander51
04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm well along with the job of 'rendering' my dash clock from 6volt to AA battery quartz movement, preferably one which is not more than 1/2" deep. Here's what I did, in the hopes I can help/encourage others to resurrect a dead clock.

Remove trim bezel by prying the 6 tabs up. It's messy and I wouldn't be surprised if I have to solder the thing back on later.

Remove guts of case. Turn up the tabs holding the movement to the back of the face. Between the face and movement cut the stem which leads to the hands with a hacksaw.(face turned white yet?) Remove the old movement housing from the back of the case.

Cut the stem off at the base of the ornamental minute hand, grind it flat with a dremel, then drill a cavity with at 9/32 drill bit. A common cap nut used with these Japanese quartz movements will nest in the cavity. Glue it in place to the back of the hand. This will now screw on the shaft of the quartz movement and serve as the 'new' minute hand. Attach the new movement to the back of the face. Insert the face/movement back in the clock and mark the approximate location of the battery cradle.

Make an insert matching the inside back of the case. Drill a 1" hole in it about where the battery cradle would be.

Now you want to make a 'fake' battery. Cut a 3/8" dowell rod about 1 7/8" long. Locate small wood screws about 1/2" long and drill holes in the ends of the dowell to accept screw. Go to Radio Shack and get a AA battery holder. Crimp the ends to a 16-22 loop connector with hole appropriate to the screws. Assemble and place in the battery cradle of the movement.

Place the insert back into the case, mark/drill/attach three sheet metal screws in spots not interfering with the new movement.

Smear a healthy dollop of glue on the back of the movement, avoiding the time adjust knob. Thread the 'remote' battery cradle through the back of the case. Center the movement/face in the case and seat to the insert. Let dry.

Glue or tape the battery cradle to the outside rear of the case. Add a real battery when the time matches what the clock hands say. That's it! Now you can.

1. have dead accurate time regardless whether car battery good, bad or out of the car.

2. replace the battery easily when it runs down

3. service/replace the movement without having to do any major demolition in the future.

This won't win you any show points, but it will eliminate the annoyance of staring at a dead clock all the time!

Good Luck!

Peter in London
04-06-2005, 01:57 PM
I know that changing all the clocks and timers twice a year for "daylight saving" is a real pain already, but won't changing the time in your car be the last straw? [:p] But after all that work you clearly have the patience of a saint. I have four clocks in the house that need winding every Saturday morning, so maybe I'm a potential saint.
Peter.[}:)]

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I did a similar conversion with a clock for a '64 CRUISER. It won't be easy to change the batteries when they die - but it's do-able. After 2 years, the clock's still tickin' away! Never did find it's way into the Cruiser tho![V]

Miscreant at large.

Commander51
04-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Mr Biggs

That's why the 'fake battery' in the movement cradle inside the case, and the Radio Shack cradle is outside the case. It's no harder this way than changing a signal flasher.

Peter

In this climate, my converted clocks (3 of 'em) are always on daylight savings-- it starts first week of april and runs through october, which is just about the exact time I run my oldies!

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
Good idea! I guess I was more intent on just converting the clock when I did it than looking to servicing it in the future! Of course, said clock's still ticking away on a shelf. The Cruiser it was intended for is long gone![:0]

Miscreant at large.

Commander51
05-03-2005, 09:43 PM
The clock conversion is installed and keeping fine time. Because of the 'ornamental' minute hand on the '51, I had to use a 'high torque' movement to drive the hand around the face...