PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking hood on 49 Stude?

BigB
04-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Hi guys,

the previous owner of my 49 Stude didn't screw the hood release cable (connected to a knob on the instrument panel) correctly, so after I've pulled it a few times to work on the engine, the cable went off the release device in the engine bay.

Any ideas how to open the hood without this cable? [?] I can't see any extra lever or something like this on the front near the grille. When I try to get to the release device in the engine bay from the underside of the car, I found out that the release device is behind sheet metal in front of the radiator.

BR,

Bjoern

http://cms2.koepfe.de:8002/mediabase/images/39_39_stude_kl.jpg
Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 05:14 PM
I've not had that problem with a car of that vintage. IF you could reach up there with a screwdriver or such, you could trip the latch lever rearward to unlatch the hood. (I know you said that there's sheet metal in the way) Shy of that, you may have to fashion some sort of L-shaped tool you can work thru the grille openings to try and release the latch!:(
I happen to have a shop manual for '47s (basically the same as yours) and there's no mention of how to tackle this problem![V] Just be careful you don't slip and pop a hole in the radiator!

Miscreant at large.[:0]

whacker
04-06-2005, 08:40 PM
BigB, here is how you do it on a 51, should be very similar on a 49. Remove the grill. Using a large flat bladed screwdriver, reach up under the front through the open hole where the grill was and put the blade of the screwdriver behind the latch. There is a little hole that the lever goes through, and there should be some clearance behind the lever. Put the blade of the screwdriver into this spot. Twist (turn) the screwdriver to release the latch. It is a lot easier if you have an assistant to press down on the hood to release the pressure on the latch while you turn the screwdriver. Easier to do than it is to describe! Good luck!!

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 11:36 PM
I just don't think it's that easy to remove the earlier grille , whacker. [V]

Miscreant at large.

BigB
04-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Hi Mr. Biggs & Whacker,
I think I'll try to remove the grille, I don't see another way to open this *#*% Hood! [}:)]
Mr. Biggs, I have a shop manual and many other things (e.g. owner's manual) for my 1949 Stude, but there is nothing mentioned about releasing the hood without the cable. :(
So let's see, now there's work for the weekend. Good thing: my girlfriend visits friends about 300 miles away, so she won't be irritated. ;)

Thanks for your help!

BR,

Bjoern

Roscomacaw
04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Yeah - I noted too, that they opted not to include instructions as to how to handle such a situation.[xx(]
I'd like to hear how much trouble it is to remove that grille from the outside![V]
Heh - I'd bet the girlfriend enjoys RIDING in that Stude. No[?]

Miscreant at large.

BRUCESTUDE
04-08-2005, 11:37 PM
MY '52 HOOD IS OPENED THE SAME AS WHACKER SUGGESTS ON HIS '51, EXCEPT, I DIDN'T HAVE TO TAKE OFF MY GRILLE. I DID SCRAPE THE HECK OUTTA MY ARM IN THE PROCESS! THERE IS A HOLE IN THE LATCH PLATE THAT I THINK IS MADE FOR JUST THESE EMERGENCIES. I USED A BIG PHILLIPS 'DRIVER, AND BASICALLY USED IT AS A LEVER TO POP THE HOOD LATCH.

BigB
04-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi Brucestude & Whacker,
after I've watched the engine bay of my Stude with a pocket lamp for quite a while today, I found the hole in the latch plate you speak of. I scratched my arm, broke a screw driver, took a second one and... here we go - the hood opened. Now the hood release cable is fixed right, friends! ;)

Roscomacaw
04-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Great news!:D

Miscreant at large.