PDA

View Full Version : 1956 Power Hawk Transmission

mjeansonne
04-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase an automatic transmission and steering column from a 1956 Power Hawk.

I would like to use it to convert my 1963 Champ Pickup w/259 cid V-8 to automatic. My question is whether this transmission will work behind the 259 V-8? And will the steering column with automatic quadrant work in the truck?

Experiencing a "Senior moment", I don't remember if the 56 Power Hawk had the Packard V-8, Studebaker 6 or...

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Roscomacaw
04-04-2005, 07:19 PM
That tranny ought to be fairly easy to install in the truck. And yes, the Power Hawks had the Stude 259 V8. The 6-cylinder Hawk for 1956 was called the Flight Hawk. Only the Golden Hawk of 1956 had the Packard 352 in it. And automatic versions of that car used Packard's Ultramatic (know in some circles as "UL-traumatic"![}:)])
The steering column on the other hand.... [|)] Ya know, with enough effort, it can be made to work. When you say "column", are you hinting at the steering gear box and all that? Because the 63 Champ's steering arrangement is vastly different from that in a Stude car. That said, you might get away with using the colum tube and the shifter parts. It won't be a "drop-in" modification tho.
You might do well to see if you can scare up late Champ auto shift parts. Either NOS or used.
Of course, there'll be the mods required to make the front end of the drive shaft(s) (there's a 2-piece setup under a long bed) to make it interface with the output end of the tranny. But that's relatively minor stuff. A good driveline shop can do that for you right easily.;)
ONE other difference is that the cars used a mechanical rod to transmit throttle pressure to the tranny as required to control shift points and passing gear. The trucks used a vacuum modulator/solenoid affair that served those functions. I don't know WHY they chose to approach the two differently (I'm sure there was a reason) but you should be able to get by using the simple rod setup that the Hawk uses UNLESS there's some insurmountable issue of linkage clearance - which I can't envision being a real problem.[^]

Miscreant at large.

mjeansonne
04-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, after I made my post, I "remembered" that there were 3 models of Hawk that year, with the Power Hawk being the one with the 259.

As for the steering column, I will retain the Ross "muscle maker" until I can either replace it with something else, or adapt a Hawk power steering unit. I guess what I am asking is whether the steering column will fit from steering wheel to the Ross steering box presently on the Champ? Or is there a difference in length and attachment to the steering box? I know there is a difference in where the pitman arm is located.:) I figure I will use the same setup for the Throttle Valve rod as used on the Hawk...it appears simple enough!

I agree though, if I can scare up a Champ automatic column, I would do better!:D

Roscomacaw
04-04-2005, 10:50 PM
I can't answer your specific question. Two weeks ago I could have as I had a late Champ here that we'd built from pieces of 6 or 7 different Champs. If it was here, I could grab a Hawk column and do some measurements vs the Champ column. But that's not possible now.
Believe me tho - to ASSume it'll be close because it's a Studebaker is to set yourself up to fall. God how that Champ humbled my "expertise"!!!:( My fingers ain't got enough meat on them for me to tell how many times I backtracked on setting a V8 in what had been a Champ 6 truck![xx(] I can say that it taught me alot about Champ trucks that I didn't know[}:)] And I'd owned about a half dozen of them thru the years.;)
I'm with you on the throttle pressure rod tho. Seems to me it ought to work just fine.:D

Miscreant at large.

studegary
04-06-2005, 03:20 PM
I would like to straighten out the 1956 Hawk information/misinformation in this thread for those that aren't in the know of '56 Hawks. There were four (not three) series of Hawks in 1956 - Flight (C and K body, six cylinder), Power (C body, 259 V8), Sky (K body, 289 V8) and Golden (K body, 352 [Packard] V8). C body is coupe and K body is hardtop.

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Sho nuf, Gary. Fact is, '56 saw a whole bunch of different nameplates in the Stude lineup! Champion, Commander, President (and President Classic), The Pelham, Parkview and Pinehurst wagons and the four different Hawks![:0] I wish I had one nice one of each!;)

Miscreant at large.

mjeansonne
04-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Alright, alright guys, just to put my 2 cents in... don't forget the truck lineup!!!:)... now naming them...[}:)]