PDA

View Full Version : overdrive

Mitch
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
The OD on my 54 Conestoga acts up. To begin with it would not freewheel so I changed transmissions, the new one did the same so I added 40 wt oil and STPf to the tranny and it started working better. It would go into OD almost every time, but now it goes in less and less frequently. It is probably an electrical problem and I bought a switch to straight-wire the solenoid,but would like to get it to work as it should. Where and for what should I look. Thanks
Mitch

Mitch

Roscomacaw
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Mitch? Mitch Bennett? Either way - have you checked the solenoid? This sounds silly, but take it from the voice of experience - I had trouble with the OD being cranky. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. Would drop out even when it shouldn't![xx(] Turned out the solenoid was loose![:0] So loose it was about to fall off the tranny![8] Tightening it made all the difference.
We could eliminate the governor as the problem on your car if you took that switch, wired it to ground on one side and wired the other side of it to the wire on the OD lock-out switch on the tranny Attach this wire to the same ternminal that has a wire going back to the governor. Then drive the car and after 30MPH, close (turn on) the switch. Let off the gas and see if the OD engages like it should. On decelleration, open the switch around 30 MPH to see that the OD drops back out. If it works consistently on repeated tries, it might well be the governor giving you grief. If not, get back to us.;)
You might start by just checking to see that ALL connections of OD-associated wirings are clean and tight. Then try it before going to the toggle switch tests.[^]

Miscreant at large.

Mitch
04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Thanks Studebob, as soon as the rain stops and the ground dries out I'll go under the car and check out the solenoid and if that's not it I will check the governor. Mitch Bennett

Mitch

Roscomacaw
04-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, get back to us then and let us know what you've found under that Conniestogee![}:)]

Miscreant at large.