• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goo

I just started working on a bare block back from the
    machine shop, hot tank and bore.
    Well they never removed the oil gallery plugs in the back
    of the block so the gallery has about 6" o old oil and bore cuttings
    drilled out the one plug removed the one in the distribitor bore.
    what is the best way to be sure the gallery is clean
    and where else to look for other problems.
    Thanks

steve strait

well I knew it is 289
    Thanks

steve strait

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sshawk

I just started working on a bare block back from the
      machine shop, hot tank and bore.
      Well they never removed the oil gallery plugs in the back
      of the block so the gallery has about 6" o old oil and bore cuttings
      drilled out the one plug removed the one in the distribitor bore.
      what is the best way to be sure the gallery is clean
      and where else to look for other problems.
      Thanks

steve strait
      I'd take it right on back or get my money back Steve. Speaking from experience, it's a bitch to clean all the oil passages out with the round metal brushes,(expensive 'cause ya gotta get quite a few), using diesel fuel first, then mineral spirits and finally Brake Kleen", (or something similar).

Take all the plugs out yourself and take it to a reputable machine shop for a thorough cleaning. Our machine shop uses a combination of wet soak, heat and bead blasting, and believe me, you could eat off the thing when ya get it back. A reputable shop would never even have thought about returning it to ya with any plugs in the block.... Good luck.

Sonny
      Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Last week, I dropped off a block at a machine shop that I've used a time or two. Since I know these guys aren't versed in Studebaker engines (this place is a small-block, high-performance mill - pardon the pun), I made a point of pointing out that those rear plugs had to come out. Actualy, I was sorta ticked at myself for not taking them out BEFORE I delivered the block to them, but I had been in a hurry and I hadn't been the one to strip the block in the first place.
        Point is, either I remove them or I make damned sure THEY know to remove them when I entrust the block to them for work. Of course, the two water jacket pipe plugs gotta be removed for good cleaning too!
        But I agree with Sonny in that they ought to take it back and do it up right. You paid to have a cleansed engine - not one that's gotten a sponge bath.[V]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks every one
          I know that this guy has been in business for 25 years
          so thought it would be ok
          alas most of the shop has green cards so who knows.
          They took the block back and said they get it clean.
          Thanks

steve strait

Comment

That's good news!

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Super results can be obtained by filling water jackets etc with 33% hydrocloric acid, leave for a while and then rinse thoroughly. Make sure the acid can't contact any aluminum, it kind of disappears. The resulting finish is outstanding, looks like the block just came from the foundry. Just be careful, the stuff is quite aggressive.

Comment

Working...
              X