This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI

Anybody else tired of dealing with Strombergs?
    I've been cogitating about the possibilities of EFI. Here's a link I found

steve blake

I was talking with a guy here locally a few days ago. He's got TBFI on his GT Hawk, and he's got only good things to say about it. Said it was easy to install too. ONLY glitch that was encounterd was that the ignition module involved was giving him grief until he came to realize it was set up for a distributor that ran opposite rotation to what Stude's do. Swapped to wires and he was good to go!
    I can find out what brand he used if you like.[^]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes Sir, I'd love to know what he used

steve blake
      steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
      http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

You might try this guy (John) :http://www.customefis.com/ He is building a TBI for my 1979 J20 Jeep Pickup. He is a bit slow but knows what he is doing and will only build them with a O2 sensor feedback loop. He can also sell you the parts and plans to do your own thing.

Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        Dan White
        64 R1 GT
        64 R2 GT
        58 C Cab
        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I tried the Holley Projection TBI unit on my 62 Champ w/ 259 back in 94-95. It ran well but with 670cfm way too big for the 259 V8.
          But once it sat(due to a broken piston) it never ran right again.
          Basically the TBI is an electronic carb as it mixes air and fuel at the plennum. MPFI injects the fuel at the intake port.

Thats why I am slowly getting AFB clones for my V8's.

If I were to do EFI again, I would look for a MPFI as it will probably yield the best results.

Comment

Without a doubt MPFI is the way to go for any number of reasons, especially if you are going to do any forced injection. You cannot, or should not do forced induction with a TBI. However, the problem is the cost, it runs about 2X TBI, not to mention the complexity of these types of units. For daily drivers and moderate performance TBI works well. The Holley unit without the O2 sensor appears to have some long term reliability problems, and the latest Holley digital units price have gotten really out of reason pricewise.

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I agree, Dan, that TBI will run 2X less than MPFI and work just fine for most applications. Going to a 4v AFB clone is more cost effective for me since I have so many projects ongoing. About $280 to $300 for a new AFB carb and accessories, plus $75 to $100 for a modified manifold suits my budget.

Comment

Speaking of Stromberg Carbs. There are new parts available from: http://www.vintagespeed.com/carbs.htm

Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                X