PDA

View Full Version : rebuild front-end, DIY repair???

55pres
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
I have been thinking about rebuilding the front-end of my `55 myself. I am planning on buying the kit that Studebaker Int. sells. I am aware that "spreader tools" are needed. Is this a DIY repair? Or should I look for someone else to do it?? And if I do it myself, what kind of tools should I buy? I know this isn't going to be my last Stude, I'm sure I'll do it again!
Thanks for the help!

(2) 1955 Presidents

cosmo
04-01-2005, 07:42 PM
i own a 63 lark, i dont know exactly how your 55 is set up but if its anything like mine you need this tool. i did my entire front suspension, upper, lower controll arms, new shocks. did it all myself worked out great, and that tool is totally needed for the installation of your trunnion bushings. its my understanding that if i didnt have that tool getting an allinment would almost be impossible. so if your going to do it buy the tool. studebakerparts.com has this tool for about 30 bucks or you can try to make it yourself.

Roscomacaw
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
The spreader's an essential tool. Actualy not hard to "fudge" one if you're handy at all. Of course, you'll need some vernier calipers or some such way to measure how much spread you induce. Other than that, the tools required are pretty basic. Sockets and wrenches and a good floor jack.:D

Miscreant at large.

55pres
04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for all the quick replys. I am pretty handy myself, and I should be able to make my own. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't over my head!
Thanks

(2) 1955 Presidents

N8N
04-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Make sure you really need to do the outer pins, sometimes all you need is new rubber and that's not all that difficult. Just make sure you cut a spacer to fit between the ears of the A-arm before you start so you don't pound them together driving the new bushings in. A dull air chisel will usually get them out OK, use a big socket to drive them in.

If you do need to do the outers, Chuck Collins sells the spreader tool (saw it on his site looking for something else just a few days ago)

good luck

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
62 Daytona hardtop
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel