X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning signal problems on 49 Stude

Hi friends!

Yesterday I checked my 1949 Stude Starlight Coupe on a trip through the german countryside and found out two problems, with which you might help me:

1. When I use the turning signal switch to blink right or left, both turning signal lights in the rear start to flash.

2. I can fill the gas tank with only about 4 gallons, then the gasoline is in the filler neck. After the car approximetely used these 4 gallons, the tank is empty.

Any ideas?

Best regards & Thanks for your efforts in advance,

Bjoern

Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Did your computer shrink the gas tank while it was lowering the car and forget to tell you?
    Peter.[}]

Comment

I'd say there's a screw-up in the wiring associated with the Turn Signals. Is this a factory unit or an after-market system? OR maybe there's something worn out inside the switch assembly.

As to the gas problem. That's a bit of a head-scratcher! Some Studes had the gas feed line incorporated with the gage sending unit. IF - that line was say, rusted thru somewhat short of where it extends to the bottom of the tank, I could see it sucking air once the gas was drawn down to that point. That said, the parts book shows that this model didn't HAVE that sort of feed-line incorporated into it's gas system.
      Are you saying it's running OUT of gas (the engine) every time at 4 gallons of consumption[?]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Peter, I doesn't know whether your statement is meant as a joke or not!

Mr. Biggs,
        To 1.: The unit is from the factory and not an aftermarket one. But: I installed front turning signals (these were an option for 1949) on the weekend, because they're neccessary for the german inspection, that you have to pass with your car to drive it on the street. I also changed the relay and - now it works.
        To 2.: I also dismantled the gas tank on the weekend, cleaned it and now everythings works fine. I am still not sure what could have been the problem, but - I think that happens often on old cars, right?

I also changed all rubber seals of the four rear windows of my car with the help of a friend. It was work for two days from 9 am to 8 pm. My girlfriend wasn't happy. Especially the glass of the two rear middle windows came very big in it's size out of the factory, so that we spent three hours on each glass to reinstall it with the new, thicker seal.

Thanks a lot, Mr. Biggs! You're here everytime, someone is in need of professional help!

Bjoern

Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

Comment

Well, good news then! (I think Peter was only teasing a bit. Those Brits have such a sense of humor anyways![)])

Man, that rear glass deal sounds like a real BEAR to deal with! Better you than me! Wait'll you try to replace the rear window gasket on a C or K car THAT can set you swearing![:0]

Miscreant at large.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X