This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter lock-up

After my car has been sitting for a long while(4 to 5 month)when I try to start it, the starter will not do anything but click. If I put the car in first gear and hit the starter it will jump forward and after about three tries it will start with no problem , does anyone know why this happens?

I had a similar problem with my wagon. The problem turned out to be a goo that settled into the forward part of the starter housing.[xx(] It seems that stuff from the engine leaked into the bellhousing and settled in the lowest spot. The starter. I took the starter apart and cleaned it out. My guess would be that the 'goo' was keeping the gear from moving forward and doing it's thing on the flywheel.
    It works fine now.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant. It's because I am!![:I]

All you have to do is remove the two flathead screws on the back of the starter. This will allow you to seperate the housing sections. They will doubtless be stiff and will take some persuading. Make sure you don't lose the washer that goes on the end of the spindle. If you are experiencing 'goo' problems this should do it. Good luck!

Mr Biggs! W.W.Y.D.???

Lotsa Larks!!
    Studeclunker
    Ron Smith

Comment

If you get ONLY a click, likely it's not the starter itself, but the starter solenoid that's clicking. I could see this happening because the starter's brushes are gummed up or the cable between the starter and solenoid are defective or suffering from dirty connection(s)
      But I can't envision a connection between slecting 1st gear and the starter deciding to spin and engage. Did you forget some detail in your description of how this usually plays out???[?]
      Simply selcting 1st gear doesn't impact the starter in any way that I know of. I'm baffled by this one.
      Out2's approach to his problem is viable. The starters came apart pretty easily by undoing those two long screws. The only trick is getting the brushes back on the commutator when reassembling the unit.

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I thin it has more to do with the starter and te flywheel because my motor is dry on the underside, I put it in first gear and bump the starter walking the car then smething breaks loose and Ican spin the starter in the conventional way. This only happens once and great while after the car has sat for a long time.
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

My car did this same trick. The starter goes "click" and nothing happens. What did happen was that the bendix threw the starter into the flywheel and then the starter did not turn any further. The starter gear remains stuck in the flywheel. When you put it into first gear, the flywheel must move slightly enough to make the starter start to spin, causing the car to lurch a bit (since the gear is already into the flywheel) and the starter begins to work properly. I believe it unsticks because the starter gets warm from being jammed and you trying to get it to work ...the electricity heats it up which softens the old stiff grease. There's probably also an issue with a dirty commutator. Like "out2lunch" said, I took it apart and lubed everything and now it works fine. My starter was filled with old stiff grease and seed hulls that some critter must have stored there. It's really easy to work on. (just remember to disconnect the battery first (ask me how I know!))
          MARC
          Punxsutawney, PA

MARC
          Punxsutawney, PA

Comment

I had thoughts similar to yours, Marc. But the starter has to spin at least a bit, to throw the bendix gear into the flywheel gear. If it can spin enough to do that, why would it need a nudge from a shifting flywheel to coax it to turn further[?]
            I DO think his problems might well have to do with tired brushes or a dirty, scarred commutator. (in other words - a starter that needs overhaul)
            The up side is that a freshly serviced starter can give decades of service in a vehicle that's not driven much, and even years of service in one that is driven regularly.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Why does it throw the Bendix but not turn the flywheel? I think because it's so stiff and dirty that it just doesn't have the power. My theory is that it heats up enough (from the electricity) after you try to run it, that the grease thins up just enough for it to start to work again when given a little nudge.

Like you said, it's definitely a sign that a starter overhaul is necessary! On the bright side, the starter is a lot easier to remove from a Stude than it is off a Cadillac Northstar V-8 !!
              MARC
              Punxsutawney, PA

MARC
              Punxsutawney, PA

Comment

Working...
              X