PDA

View Full Version : Factory installed rust option

65cruiser
03-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Since this is the first DECENT day we've had in a good while, I decided to tackle a door rust issue I have going on. When I bought the Cruiser, the only piece of rust I could find was on the bottom edge of the rear passenger door. This doesn't show on the outside, its actually the flat bottom of the door. There was a dime-sized hole there.

Today, I removed the door panel. I marveled at how well this car has held up. The door panels are perfect and it appears no one has been inside this door since it's factory build. Anyway, I peeled off the little piece of plastic that covered up the hole at the bottom of the door and peered inside. Boy, it's dark in there. Could be spiders. So I decided to get the shop vac out and vacuum out the door. Well, when I did, I hear this fwump and I pulled out this red rag that was laying down in the bottom of the door. This rag is ancient--so old you can't pick it up without it falling to pieces. Obviously, I found the source of the rust. Wonder what a rag laying in the bottom of a door soaking up water would do?

So, I cleaned up the inside of the door. Prepped it with Metal Ready, then POR15'd the crap out of it. I used a small piece of fiberglass mat over the hole and POR15'd that too. Hopefully, that'll stop what rust there is.

Now, I guess I'd better check the other three doors;).

----------------
Mark Anderson
http://home.alltel.net/anderm
1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Roscomacaw
03-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Keep the door drain slots open on these cars. Get in the habit of sticking your pocket knife blade up into the slots every now and then. OF COURSE, make sure there's no "crap" laying inside the door bottoms, or it'll continually cause clogs and tho you might push it away with a knife blade momentarily - first good rain or wash job and the crap clogs the drains again!:(

The POR treatment is a good one as a preventive measure. The stuff actulay holds better to rusty metal. Just make damned sure the door seams and nooks are bone dry before you apply the POR or you just trap moisture where you don't want it![:0]

Miscreant at large.

65cruiser
03-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I've already decided after what I found inside this one door, I'm going to open them all up, clean them out, and give them the POR15 treatment.

----------------
Mark Anderson
1965 Studebaker Cruiser

52hawk
03-31-2005, 06:58 PM
The right door on my '61 Hawk had a South Bend newspaper in the bottom of it---

Roscomacaw
03-31-2005, 08:41 PM
I bought a '58 Commander hardtop from an old gal once. (this was 26 years ago!) Damn thing only had 29K miles on it. It was in great shape save for the carpet. It was crumbling with age. I took the seats out and pulled up the original carpet. There, with the body bolts run right thru it, was a September 14th edition of the South Bend Tribune! Those guys had to have had a sense of humor![:0]

Miscreant at large.

imported_n/a
03-31-2005, 10:17 PM
better an old damp rag, than a coke bottle bumping around on a string like my aunt's repairman found in her caddie fender...[:o)]

Lotsa Larks!!
Studeclunker
Ron Smith

65cruiser
04-01-2005, 04:25 PM
A good friend of mine found a sledge hammer in the door of his 64 Valiant.

----------------
Mark Anderson
1965 Studebaker Cruiser

52hawk
04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
In 1968,doing dealer warrantee work,a left rear door on a new skylark wouldn't open.When I finally got it open,the entire door jamb was bare metal...guess it wouldn't open at the factory either! Found a beer can under the back seat,*I think on the same car.But,that Coke bottle on the string is a Classic!!!