This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metalmites gone crazy!

Has anyone ever seen such a rusted bed floor as this? The truck is currently listed on e-Bay and the owner states "It has lots of rust and the wood in the bed is gone." Given that no metal is present, I can see how he thought it may have come with a wooden bed! Interesting home made bumper too.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Hey, the bumper on the back of my 59 is similar to that, but not exact. It's homemade too.
    Actually, there's a few old C cabs in my grandad's bone yard that are worse than this. One has a pretty good sized Oak tree growing though it. [V]

Comment

Hey, the bumper on the back of my 59 is similar to that, but not exact. It's homemade too.
      Actually, there's a few old C cabs in my grandad's bone yard that are worse than this. One has a pretty good sized Oak tree growing though it. [V]

Comment

Gary, that 2R11 I pulled all those parts from a few weeks ago - it had less bed than THAT left! And while the bottoms of the doors were completely gone, the cab was pretty nice - top to bottom. Go figure.[?][?][?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gary, that 2R11 I pulled all those parts from a few weeks ago - it had less bed than THAT left! And while the bottoms of the doors were completely gone, the cab was pretty nice - top to bottom. Go figure.[?][?][?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

[)]Hard to believe that thing is in Texas!! I don't know where Alto is...must be near the Gulf?

steve blake
            steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
            http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

[)]Hard to believe that thing is in Texas!! I don't know where Alto is...must be near the Gulf?

steve blake
              steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
              http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

I suspect an early owner laid a sheet of wood in there to protect the bed floor from scratches. The wood would prevent moisture evaporation and, when it was removed or rotted away, the bed was scratch.

Brad Johnson
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                33 Rockne 10
                51 Commander Starlight
                53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I suspect an early owner laid a sheet of wood in there to protect the bed floor from scratches. The wood would prevent moisture evaporation and, when it was removed or rotted away, the bed was scratch.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

You know what does most of those beds in out here in the SW? Those beds drain poorly at the front if at all. The front springs are sagging so bad after a couple of years that the front of the truck has a definite rake to it. Cool-lookin' maybe but when it does rain, the water just stands in the bed.[xx(] Guess what happens next[?]

I cut a section out of the floor of a really beat up bed and used it to patch the cancerous front floor edge in Pete's bed. Made drain holes in the front too!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

You know what does most of those beds in out here in the SW? Those beds drain poorly at the front if at all. The front springs are sagging so bad after a couple of years that the front of the truck has a definite rake to it. Cool-lookin' maybe but when it does rain, the water just stands in the bed.[xx(] Guess what happens next[?]

I cut a section out of the floor of a really beat up bed and used it to patch the cancerous front floor edge in Pete's bed. Made drain holes in the front too!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

But Guido, the wood IS gone.lol

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

But Guido, the wood IS gone.lol

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

That oak tree growing in MBSTUDES bed might make a nice bed?[8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

That oak tree growing in MBSTUDES bed might make a nice bed?[8D]

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

Working...
                              X