PDA

View Full Version : Six to Eight... front suspension?

imported_n/a
03-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I have a 62 delux 4dr sedan.[8D] It currently has a six and I am considering putting in an eight.;) Is this going to cause problems with the front end? After all there is a considerable difference in weight. The current engine is shot and I would like to drive this one.

Lotsa Larks!!:D

Ronald K. Smith

Roscomacaw
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Ronald - there's too many ex-6 Larks running around with V8s in them. I doubt you're gonna have problems. Bigger coil springs? - yeah, you're gonna want them. I'd wanna upgrade the brakes too. But the rear axle - even if it's a lowly 23, you'll have to flog it to tear it up. If it's a 27, well, Stude used the 27 extensively in V8-powered cars (typically the 259 V8s but an extra 30 cubic inches isn't gonna destroy one overnight either!);)

Miscreant at large.

Transtar60
03-29-2005, 01:04 PM
MrBiggs, a comment on the Model 27 rear ends. I managed to rip most of the ring gear teeth off the one in my 65 Commander 194 cid six powered 2dr. Stopped on a hill engine stalled. Started it up and the light turned green, guess the revs were still too high when I put the tranny back in drive.<G>

Sonny
03-29-2005, 01:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

MrBiggs, a comment on the Model 27 rear ends. I managed to rip most of the ring gear teeth off the one in my 65 Commander 194 cid six powered 2dr. Stopped on a hill engine stalled. Started it up and the light turned green, guess the revs were still too high when I put the tranny back in drive.<G>

I tore a 27 up too, my own fault, totally. Street race, already had a little pinion slop, didn't want to power brake the Flite, pushed the gas down too fast before I pulled it into "L" at about 3 grand, (dunno for sure what the rpm was, no tach), it took another millisecond before it actually engaged, actually made it off the line, and according to the spectators, they could see light under the front tires! [:p][xx(]

Sonny
http://RacingStudebakers.com

imported_n/a
03-29-2005, 01:45 PM
I understand your point Mr. Biggs.[:I] My first choice is to leave it alone. I'm a little bit of a purist. Still, I have driven a six from this vintage and the thing was so gutless it drove me crazy.:( I don't want to spin tires or go terribly fast. It's just embarrasing when the car accelerates so slowly that the other drivers start laying on their horns.[:I] My first choice in this case is to put a 2bbl carb on it first. Just looking to see what is needed if that doesn't work.;)

Lotsa Larks!!

Ronald K. Smith

Roscomacaw
03-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Hey - I'm with you on the power preferance. Stude's little 6 is one sweet-running piece. But it's being put to the test in today's traffic. Besides, that Stude V8 grumble just gets the testosterone flowing![:p]

Miscreant at large.