This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good meeting

MDJ, It was great meeting you and your lovely wife in Pine Prairie. I made it back to Crowley without mishap. Stopped for smokes and when I restarted, the engine started spitting and then died. This is the same way it behaved when I told you it died the other night in Lafayette. After about 15 minutes I was able to restart and get it home. It acted almost like it was overheating, but the temp gauge only read just under 1/2. Normally that gauge reads at about 1/4. Likewise the radiator fluid is full. I'm perplexed. 411 on the 911. Kevin in the Stoogebaker.

1963 Champ

Sounds like a bad coil (overheats then works when it cools a little) or maybe vapor lock?

Pull the wire out of the coil and look in the tower... if you see oil, the coil's shot...

Bob
    King of the IOMT
    (Island of Misfit Toys)

Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)

Comment

I got a dumb question again Bam. Is the coil the big cylender next to the carb? The piece that says Autolite? I really hate to sound like a dummy, but if the brake shoe fits... That's why I call it a Stoogebaker.

1963 Champ

Comment

If its held to the intake manifold by a bracket secured with two big phillips screws . Yes. The coil lead coming out of the center of the distributor plugs into the center of it. There are two smaller leads from the wiring harness plugged into each side, held on studs with nuts.

Comment

Thanks again Charlie, you're godsend and font of information. I feel like I went to the Three Stooges School of Auto Mechanics and Bottle Washing, Amalgamated.

1963 Champ

Comment

Charlie, I figured it out. The ignition switch is shorting out. I noticed that when it stalls out I don't have anything registering on the fuel gauge. Wiggle the key, fuel gauge comes on and the engine keeps running. Guess I'll have to replace it. Thanks again for your help and Happy Easter. Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

Yep Kevin, have the same problem with mine from time to time.
              If you have the original switch and bezel that secures it to the dash,
              the switch has pins that the bezel hooks on. To install , you line it up, press in on the spring, and turn the bezel to lock the switch to the dash. What happens is, the original bezel is cast and the "hooks" bend and eventually break. Stude International and other vendors have a repro piece thats supposed to be stronger. Or you can find a aftermarket switch to fit the hole with a screw on bezel.

Comment

That sounds simple enough Charlie. So simple even a dysfunctional, Stooge of a mechanic like me might be able to do it. A friend and I are going to rebuild the old Stromberg carb tomorrow and while we're in there I'll pull the switch and check it out. Thanks

1963 Champ

Comment

Kevin;

I just made it back to Shreveport for the week and saw your post. Likewise, it was a pleasure to meet you. You recall why I didn't bring the Hawk? We always seem to have a vehicle break down during the Easter weekend and sooo the Hawk belonging to the wife she said we should go in the Cadillac... guess the bad luck spilled over to you!! Sorry.

Anyway, when I was looking at your fuel gauge, I was trying to check the ignition switch. My Champ switch does the same thing... if you don't wiggle it just right, you don't get power where you need it, ie; the ignition system! Sound like you may need a new switch. The ignition coil could be a problem too, not an expensive part to replace... I saw it when you removed the breather from the carb. Its the round thing about the size of a beer can (hey guys, this is Louisiana!), but black in color, with a large wire coming from it going to the distributor. Also, I would do something with the electric fuel pump, like replacing it with the original mechanical pump... All the wiring down there looks like a mess of spagetti!!

Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker
                  Laisez le bon temps roulez avec un Studebaker

Comment

Hey Mike, I thought that was the coil, but got confused because the only word other than Autolite that I could make out on the thing was 'resistor'. Transtar gave me some good tips regarding the ign switch and we'll be looking at that as well today. And yeah, I'm unhappy with the wiring in general. It all looks very unprofessionally done. In fact it looks as if I had done it myself!
                    Headed down to republic Auto parts for that carb rebuild kit right now. Gotta go to BR this pm for my wife's post op check up. I sure hope she's well enough to be left on her own. My union has called and they want me back on a ship vit, vit. (That's Louisiana talk, guys!) Kevin in the Stoogebaker

1963 Champ

Comment

Working...
                    X