PDA

View Full Version : Swap Meet

George67
03-25-2005, 05:15 PM
If I go to the soon-to-be held swap meet in Portland, Ore. how much Studebaker info am I likely to find? Since I have yet to pick up my recently acquired 63 Lark V8, I would like to scope out vendors and individuals that will be able to help me when I bring my car home.
It sounds as if the Stude owners are an enthusiastic lot and I am certain to have lots of fun as long as this doesn't turn into a money pit.

George
Studie newbie

Roscomacaw
03-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Ya know, George - if you were more Stude-aware, you might well find some Stude stuff at that swap meet. Since it's an ALL-makes swap meet, I will warn you up front not to expect alot of Stude parts there. Fact is, you'll be lucky to find a vendor there that even knows or specializes in Studebaker stuff. These open meets always have a thin smattering of Stude parts. But it's usually not a place where you can go and expect to come home with your wish list satisfied!:(
Get your car, find out just what it DOES need and them plan to be at the national Stude meet in Spokane this August! I guarantee you there'll be vendors galore and ALL with Stude parts.[:0] By and large, STUDE vendors go to STUDE meets to sell - either that or they sell via the club magazine or via the internet.
You can easily pay TOO much by buying from folks who don't know what's what. Watch ebay - see what's paid for items you want. That'll give you an idea what's a fair approximation for given items.
I guarantee you if you buy a shop manual or an owners manual from some swap meet type (in Portland) that specializes in such - you're gonna pay too much!:( That's always a pisser when you find out after the fact![}:)]

Miscreant at large.

George67
03-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I saw the dates today for the national in Spokane. I won't be able to attend. Going to school evenings until next year. No seasonal breaks.
If I could attend at all it would only be on the last day. Not much fun in that. Thanks for the info.

Studie newbie

gordr
03-26-2005, 03:50 AM
George,

Seeing as you live nearby, you might as well go to the Portland swap meet. It is a fun event for a gearhead, and I've always been able to find some Stude stuff. I will be there myself, and I expect to meet up with Fred Cook and Dick Steinkamp, and possibly other Stude friends for dinner at the Mongolian BBQ at Jantzen Beach on the Friday evening.

Studebaker John Lassiter usually has a stall at the swap with some parts, and he's not the only stude vendor there. You can count on seeing about a dozen Stude cars for sale in a given year.

I will be staying at the Motel 6 by the horse track. If you want to meet up, e-mail me, richmondATtelusplanet.net (Instead of AT use the symbol.)

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Roscomacaw
03-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, I bow to Gordon's knowledge of the Portland meet. He's been there before and I haven't. As a rule tho, open swap meets don't draw Stude-specific vendors.
George, if you were to allow yourself ONE day to attend the meet in Spokane, Thursday would be the day to go. That's the day of the concours when all the Studes are there for judging. It can serve as inspiration and informational as well.
Either way, we'll be here to answer any questions you might have.;)

Miscreant at large.