PDA

View Full Version : Lowering leaf spring suspension on 49 Stude

BigB
03-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Hi there, folks!:D

Can anyone of you give me some tips on how to lower the suspension of my 1949 Stude? As you might know it has leaf springs in rear and also a leaf spring in front.[?]

Best regards,

Bjoern

P.S. On the profile signature picture I lowered my Stude on the computer. ;) The "ride height" in reality is still standard as it came from the factory.

http://cms2.koepfe.de:8002/mediabase/images/39_39_stude_kl.jpg
Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

BeeJay
03-25-2005, 09:21 AM
From my experience, there are several ways to lower leaf spring suspensions.

Lowering blocks: Go between spring and rear axle perches using longer "U" bolts.

Re-arching springs: Spring is disassembled and the Main leaf is rearched in the reverse arch. then turned over and re assembled.

Reversed spring eyes: Basically the same as re-arching.

Moving spring perches: The mounting perches for spring are moved upward in the frame. Requires lots of cutting and welding.

There is no way you are going to get your car as low as your computer rendering by modifing springs. Probably the best way to accomplish that is to replace suspension with air bags. Then you can raise car to a drivable height when driving and lower it when on display. Don't have web site for the air ride, but you should be able to search web for it. Main source would be Air Ride Technologies.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.

BigB
03-25-2005, 02:33 PM
Hi Bob,

thanks a lot for your detailed help.
I know, that there is the possibility to install air bags, but at first I have to look for my money, so my Stude has to wait a bit until it gets "airrided". ;) But till then I think I'll try one of the methods you described. :D

Thanks again,

Bjoern

http://cms2.koepfe.de:8002/mediabase/images/39_39_stude_kl.jpg
Livin' in Germany: 1949 Studebaker Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe

gotti210
03-28-2005, 10:42 PM
hey guy youve got an awesome looking ride

the easiest would be to use lowering blocks it would take a novice mechanic a matter of hours to do

were as all the other above would take a couple of days cause shop time to do the labor of dearching or so on and so forth

also lowering blocks are probably the least expensive route ( here in tx the kit cost about 25 dollars and its pretty self explanatory )

well good luck and lemmee know how it comes out

studegary
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
You could use lowering blocks to bring the rear down, but I can't visualize how you (Gotti210) are proposing to lower the front of the car with lowering blocks.

gotti210
03-29-2005, 05:39 PM
oh well thats another story if the front axle is on the top of the springs then it a piece o cake

im really not familiar about thre fronts with leaf

i got a 50 and its coil
so sorry

gordr
03-30-2005, 02:40 AM
Gotti210,

The front spring in Bjorn's car is a leaf, alright, but it is a transverse leaf, anchored in the middle, with the outer ends engaged in the lower control arms to give an independent front suspension. Studebaker called this their Planar Suspension.

Rear suspension on some Corvettes is similar in concept.

IMHO, the only way to safely lower a Planar suspension would be to install dropped spindles, or modified king pins to raise the centerline of the spindles relative to the end of the spring. One MIGHT be able to build modified control arms that would shift the trunnion attaching points relative to the spring.

A dropped spindle (if available) would be easiest by far.

De-arching the spring, or removing leaves, would reduce available suspension travel and adversely affect ride quality.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands