• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trunk lid problems

my trunk lid will not close properly

one hinge closes coreectly (pass side )
    i can unbolt the one that does not and the trunk closes like it should
    some one has bubble gum welded the cracks in the hinge well i went in and ground every thing clean so that way it scissors like it should but it just doesnt go down far enough for the lid to sit flush like it should

i thought about spacing the hinge down with washers were the top part of the hinge bolts to the body but i really dont know what to do at the bottum of the hinge redriil the lower hole (cause you can only adjust forward & back not up & down) enough to make it sit flush

any advice

gotti

Hey Gotti,

Chronic problem is always the left trunk hinge. Lack of lubrication has caused wear. Chances are that your hinge operating parts are loose and that some of the holes with the rivets are ovaled. Lubrication may help. Take the hinge off for a look see. Use pennies to stretch out the springs so you can get them off while they are expanded. Once springs are off you'll be able to detect if worn holes have caused a loose function. Probably need to be rebushed. Depending on you it can be done DIY with slightly larger rivets or take it to a shop that can handle it. New rivets and lubrication usually solve the problems. make sure parts are straight as you reassemble.

Henry Votel
    Forest Lake, MN
    Henry Votel,
    Forest Lake, MN
    Buying & Selling Studebaker Parts in MN & WI

Comment

Sonny
      http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Your spring has sprung. Depending on year, one side alsways goes south.

Find a junker or a salvage yard and remove one from a clunker,

Been there twice with my 47's

Comment

dont think that thats the prob (bondobilly) cause the lid closes flat when the hinge is unbolted

im stuck like chuck on this one

i evan tryed shiming the hinge down to allow more travel but that not working either it only closed the gap alili bit
          i dunno

any other ideas

Comment

Working...
          X