This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 commander chassis

Is there anyone outhere who might have an idea if the commander and the lark run off the same chassis platform,and if the parts are interchangeable. Thanks

You need to be a little more specific here. A 66 Commander - and what year Lark? 4drs and wagons sat on 113" wheelbase chassis whereas the 2dr models used a 109" wheelbase in '66. Earlier lark 4drs set on shorter chassis.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I guess what i need to know is,will a 283 from a 66 commander fit into a 59 lark wthout alot of welding. Thanks

Comment

I believe the 283 Mckinnon engine will bolt right in the '59 Lark with NO welding. As long as you make sure you got the engine mount brackets from the front crossmember of the '66, and also the tranny crossmember, if it is different. Auto is probably the same, manual may differ from one to the other.

If the '66 had the same wheelbase as your Lark, the drive shaft SHOULD work, as long as they both have the same model axle (27 or 44).

Thre should be plenty of room for the 283; after all they put 259s in Larks. The 6 cylinder GM might be a problem, though, as it is so long.

There are most likely some folks here who have actually done the swap, but I do know that if you use the factory brackets from the '66, the engine will bolt in place OK. You may run into some minor difficulty with the throttle linkage. If you have the complete '66 Commander parts car, though, you will be on top of the game.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord,

As long as you remember that the positioning of the Chevrolet ( McKinnon if you will ) motor ends up farther back towards the firewall, leaving no room for electronic ignition distributors, I would agree with most of what you say. Also, get ready for a treat when you change spark plugs with those "Elkhorn " exhaust manifolds, too! LOL You would think a smaller motor externally would make plug change easier, but that is not the case. Also, you cannot use the Chevrolet fuel pump, because of interference with the A arm assembly, but NAPA has one that fits the job, and I have the number if interested. Also, 1966s used a Transmission Cable as opposed to earlier shift linkage on automatics. This is all based on my experience with my 1966 Cruiser.

quote:Originally posted by gordr

I believe the 283 Mckinnon engine will bolt right in the '59 Lark with NO welding. As long as you make sure you got the engine mount brackets from the front crossmember of the '66, and also the tranny crossmember, if it is different. Auto is probably the same, manual may differ from one to the other.

If the '66 had the same wheelbase as your Lark, the drive shaft SHOULD work, as long as they both have the same model axle (27 or 44).

Thre should be plenty of room for the 283; after all they put 259s in Larks. The 6 cylinder GM might be a problem, though, as it is so long.

There are most likely some folks here who have actually done the swap, but I do know that if you use the factory brackets from the '66, the engine will bolt in place OK. You may run into some minor difficulty with the throttle linkage. If you have the complete '66 Commander parts car, though, you will be on top of the game.

Sam Roberts

Comment

Working...
          X