This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know anything....YET

I was just gifted a 1963 Lark V8 this morning and I really do not know anything about Studebaker's.

Can someone tell me the best parts resources, club contacts in the Southwest Washington/Northern Oregon area, and maybe the names of some knowledgable persons that could assist me in the future.
    I was told that the car was running when last parked, though it was beginning to use oil, and the interior sounds as if it needs to be completely replaced.
    Any contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to our world, George. If you choose to hang onto that Studee, first thing you need to do is join the national Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC). Any local Stude clubs will be chapters of the national one and will require you join it to be a part of their organization. Lest it sound like they're try ing to pump money from you, once you start to recieve the monthly magazine, Turning Wheels, you'll realize what a bargain national membership is. The magazine is a trove of information about the cars, the folks that keep and treasure them and the parts and services available to keep them on the road! Fact is, you can join SDC right from this site here.[:0]
    There's some very active Stude club chapters in your neck of the woods. Good folks all, and willing to help ease your entry into the world of Studebakering. Studebakers are commonly lumped into what we catagorize as "orphan cars" - to mean cars whose parent companies no longer exist. Out of the MANY orphan car organizations that keep the faith for various makes, the Studebaker faithful are by far the most active and entusiastic!
    A real point of inspiration for you will be that SDC is holding it's annual national meet in Spokane this August. A week-long event of cars and camaraderie of Stude folks. You'll find enthusiasts there from as far off as foreign lands. Such is the widespread appeal of this gone but HARDLY forgotten make of auto!
    About your car specifically - once you lay hands on it, make note of the two lines of digits on the small, stamped tag that's located near the righthand hood hinge. Tell us what those two lines say and we can interpret them to understand just what model of '63 Lark you have.
    There's still lots of original interior upholstery pieces left for these late Larks. Or, you can get some of it done locally. There's also vendors that supply interior stuff made to original patterns too.
    "Using oil". We have a running chuckle amongst Stude folks - "if it isn't leaking oil, you'd better check it - it must be OUT of oil!"[:I]
    This is not to say a tired engine can't burn or blow some oil out, but leaks are a common nuisance. Some of which are more easily addressed than others - but all are fixable.
    One note of caution, George. We Studebaker nuts also resign ourselves to the fact that Studebakering is a disease of sorts. Maybe "addiction" is a better word. Whichever definition you choose, once bitten, you simply won't be happy with just ONE Studebaker! [:0] You'll go to a meet and you'll see another model that's just too pretty to ignore. It'll grind on you until some friend happens to mention that he knows where there's one just like that that's been sitting for eons. Trust me - you WON'T be able to keep yourself from going to take a look at it. Once you figure how to get it home without having knots inflicted upon your head by your significant other - you're hooked![xx(]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

George,
      From what you have listed you have one of the best starter Studebakers. The 63 Lark V8 was a fine car in it's day and had they had the dealer network they would had sold as well as other compacts. The Lark is easy to get parts for and they drive well on modern highways. Most brake, ignition and electical parts can be had at a NAPA, Carquest or Big A autoparts stores. You can even find oil filters at AutoZone. SO if you plan to keep the car don't be worried about parts. If you need help you'll find plenty in the Studebaker Drivers Club and its many local chapters. If you ever plan to travel long distances get a National Roster it's like AAA for Studebakers with much more friendly mechanics. Hope you join the ranks of thousands of loyal Studebaker owners!!!

Good Luck

Restore it, don't replace it.Keep the Studebaker reproduction industry going

Comment

George, I forgot to mention that if you have any questions, be sure to bring them here. [?] But then, maybe you've already figured that out, eh?

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I guess I need to mention that I do not plan to get rid of the car. That's part of the reason it is being given to me. Also as I am "changing" career's and am training to be an Automotive technician, it makes this more exciting.

Comment

That's good to hear, George. One thing I think it's safe to say is that diagnosing that Lark will seem foreign compared to the way "technicians" are trained to deal with cars of this day and age! We Stude guys like to chuckle when we hear tales of modern-day "technicians" trying to repair Studebakers with the knowledge they get in their training.
            Long gone are the days when "mechanics" diagnosed a car's woes with their intuitive senses developed thru years of exposure and pratice. Now, if it can't be hooked up to a diagnostic deciphering machine, the "techs" are at a loss! Lets hope you end up having a leg up on the usual technicians!
            As I said - we're here to help you in any way we can.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Hi George 67 and Mr Biggs! Just had to stick my nose in here to mention the Studebaker Museum, the museum website,and,the availability of production orders for the car for $25.00 Well worth the money just to see the 'build date' and other info!Happy Studebakin'!!!
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

hawk, a production order's nice to have. But they're more than $25 bucks nowdays! I think it's at $40 now. Still a bargain when you think about it. Lots of other orphan cars have no records to refer to at all![:0] Pretty cool to be able to see your car's "birth certificate"!

Miscreant at large.

Comment

If you're in SW Wa or N OR the closest local club would probably be the NW chpt of the SDC here in Portland; I just went to my first meeting last night and would be happy to pass the info along or you can get it from the main part of this site. Love to see your car sometime.

Comment

Pass on anything you have, thank you. I am in Vancouver. Now I just have to get the car down from the central part of the state.

Comment

Sorry to take so long to answer, I can't post while I'm working... Anyway the contact for the local chpt of the Drivers Club would be Bob Williams, 503-292-6210. The meetings are late in the month at the Stamp Society Building on NE 33rd. Everyone I've dealt with in the Northwest Chpt has been helpful, friendly and knowledable. There's nothing in WA, apparently, south of Tacoma.

Comment

Well, I was finally able to pick it up last weekend! Haven't really scoured it over but I do know that the area under the battery box is rusted through and I was told the floor pan had rusted through some time ago. Other than that the body is in great shape! Very little cancer and no dents.
                        I will have to re-wire the car. The wires I could see looked pretty ratty and I don't want to trust that the mice didn't get to munching on them. Anyone know where I can find complete harness assemblies?[?]
                        I will be removing the engine and tranny this summer to go through each one in turn, then will probably leave them out until I have a chance to go thru the engine bay and get everything fixed that is easier done eith nothing in the way.

The interior is completely shot, upholstery wise. I will also need small things like switches for the dash and maybe some handles, nothing parts suppliers couldn't give me in a pinch.

This has a vin of 63V1814, can anybody give me any clues about this?[?][?][?]

I've been absent awhile. Partly school, partly just waiting to get this home. Now I am sticking around awhile.[8D]

Studie newbie

Comment

Goerge---welcome to the cool studebaker world. My first was a 1963 Lark 2 dr sedan with a factory V8 three speed w o/d. It was only a work car when i bought it (ALL OF 800.00) and changed my life forever.That was June 1995 and I discovered a ton about Studebakers---Studebaker folks and myself for that matter. I still have the Lark and a few others. The 63 Larks were very pretty cars with awesome fit and finish. I put over 30,000 miles on that Lark in 5 years of driving. A little here and a little there. The car still has never needed or had a full restoration. Just one of those "always took care of" little funmobiles.I did get an NOS interior in 99 from Newman and Altman (now sasco)they hooked me right up and had answers to odd questions whenever I called. David at Sasco is a studebaker encyclopedia of sorts lol lol. He sure has directed me the right way over the years It still drips a bit of oil too-I figure he's just marking his terrirorie. My circle of friends really laughed at me at first---not many Studes running around in my area and no body knew what this little Lark was at first.It came from a local Pawn shop. They were being smartalics when they nicknamed it Randy's Studley Studebaker. Over the years the car earned the name "Studley" The last laugh was on them---I had a better car than most and certainly was the proudest driver in the state. oh yeah---and my car had no payment book and depriciation just was not in the cards. I'll bet its still worth at least the initial 800.00 investment lol lol lol. It really is priceless to me and holds my heart. First thing you will have to get used to when you start driving that cool car is alot of attention---everywhere you go. They will walk past the new cars and even the classic standards to check out that Lark---get used to lots of thumbs up and horn honking to---especially on the interstate and hiway. I thrive on Studebaker road trips and take them often---any excuse to drive a few hours in a cool stude [8D] After you discover the magic in the cars and the peaple you will be forever changed--in a very good way. If you like that Lark----wait till you discover those awesome Champ trucks-----Lots of folks here call mine a Lark truck. Like I said-not alot of Stude folks here--I am changing that.Have an outstanding day--it's the Studebaker way

RANDY

Comment

George, I've got a good used harness out of a 63 V8 Lark. I can make you a heck of a deal on it. Click on my name here and then click on "Send an E-mail". I'll give you the particulars.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
                            X