This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advice on turbo plumbing

The left side exhaust manifold is equipped with a heat riser on my 232 (bored out to 259) that causes exhaust gas to be routed thru the lower passage on the intake manifold to "cook" the intake mix until the engine heats up, at which time the heat riser opens and lets the exhaust go out thru the muffler. Why couldn't the exhaust on the left side be closed off with a plate, and the left side exhaust be routed thru the existing plumbing to the other side? Then the exhaust manifold on the driver's side could be mounted upside down and a suck thru turbo mounted before the pipe to the muffler. The turbo would then go to the intake manifold. It all seems so simple, someone must have tried it - why wouldn't it work?

I think that you would find the exhaust port that runs threw the intake manifold too small and restrictive, plus only the 2 inner cylinders would feed the cross over manifold heater, so a block off plate wouldn't work anyway. Plus, that would be way too much heat running threw the intake manifold and I think pre-ignition would be bad. An over heated intake manifold plus running a turbo = really bad. You want to cool the charge, not heat it up.

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

Well, I think you are probably right about the pre-ignition, and I don't know if the passage would be too restrictive. I do know all of the gas would go through the passage though, as all of the exhaust goes through there when the heat riser is closed. I have seen pictures of Mike Sheerer's [sp?] setup, where the exhaust from the driver's side is routed under the engine and into a turbo on the passenger side. I don't think he was running an intercooler at that time - I don't know if one has been added since then.

Comment

I think you might be able to use a factory cross-over piper and then mod it in some way to a single turbo set up, you might want to think about turning your exhaust manifold upside-down and weld a flange on the manifold and run your cross over pipe into the manifold. That might be your best bet. Depending how much boost you are running, an innercooler might not be needed. I think put to 10 PSI is safe w/o an innercooler, but I could be wrong. You might want to bump down your compression ratio if adding more boost than 10PSI.

(2) 1955 Presidents

Comment

Working...
        X