This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Starlight Coupe

More questions for you brainy stude guys out there. First though I bought the 50 coupe in New York (Yea)! The gentleman I'm buying the car from says he has to remove the tag and turn it back in to the state. I can't get an Okla. tag without the Okla. inspecting the car first. I really want to fly in and drive the car home, but what to do about a tag. Also do I need to put a lead additive in the gas. The car has overdrive, so what kind of gas milege can I expect. Thanks in advance, OkieBob P.S. If you drive a 50's car shouldn't you pay 50's gas prices. Thanks again for all the help. OkieBob

Bob,
    You'll really have to check with your DMV in your state to find out what they need to issue you a license plate. Yes, in NY we need to turn our old plates into the DMV.
    No, you won't need anything other than unleaded regular. If the car is in good tune, you should be looking at 18-20 mpg. Enjoy. That's one of my favorite cars of all time.
    Best of luck.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Here in Vermont we have the same regulations so far as the licence plates being returned to DMV when the vehicle is sold. You should check with your DMV to see if you can get temporary or "transit" plates. It sounds like you are taking on quite an undertaking driving a 1950 Studebaker from New York to Oklahoma. A couple years ago a club member bought an Avanti out west and decided to drive it home back east. In the long run, with airfare, breakdowns, gas, motel rooms and meals it would have been less expensive to have it commercially shipped, not to mention the time off from work. As a minimum get a roster of Studebaker Drivers Club (SDC) vendors and members so that you have contacts in case of trouble on the way. Good luck and let us know how you come out. (I would figure 18 to 20 MPG with the OD transmission.)
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Okie, you should be able to get a NY temp tag from the local DMV where you are buying the car. Kevin

1963 Champ

Comment

In New York State, we have to turn the plates in to the DMV and get a form before we can legally remove the insurance from the vehicle. The present owner can use the remaining credit on the plates towards the plates for another car or he can get a refund of the second year's charges if the registration is in the first year of its two year cylce. Out of state residents can get a 30 day temporary cardboard plate for transport use to another state. You get this from the DMV. I believe that you need an ownership document, bill of sale and proof of insurance. Check out NYS DMV's web site for details/information. In New York State, titles were only issued for cars starting in 1973. Prior year vehicles have a transferable registration. You should receive that part of the registration signed by the current owner as your proof of ownership. What part of NYS is the car located in. Maybe one of us in NYS can be of some assistance. Good Luck!
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob - I read dpson's cautions to driving your Stude and I understand where he's coming from. But Studes were daily transportation when they were new, and people actualy travelled in them instead of having them hauled to long distance destinations.
            Driving it to OKLA IS a judgement call after you initially assess the car first-hand. If it looks like a shakey deal, then you have to decide if your trip is gonna be one that trys your patience or provides you with a challenge you learn from and will be a story in your repetoir of memorable tales to relate to your grandkids.
            If you're gonna tell your boss how many days off you need, based on the average speed you can hope to maintain - you need to have it hauled. If you have the time to go along at a pace that the car feels comfortable with, it should be a pleasureable adventure. I guess I'm saying it's all in how you approach it.
            I can't recall whether this is a Champion or Commander but I don't think that matters much. With the Champion - on relatively flat terrain - I have gotten as much as 27MPG on the road. Honest top speed will hover around 70MPH in Overdrive. I used to joke that I could do an honest 72MPH with a tailwind. It wasn't THAT much of a joke tho!
            The Commander might get about the same mileage or maybe slightly less. But top speed in OD can be faster than you want to go, given the brakes these 1950 models have. Try your best to drive defensively and keep adequate car lengths between you and the car ahead. The brakes are not inherently dangerous but they're not gonna match the stopping capabilities of modern cars either.
            Frankly, when taking a trip like this, I love to take the secondary roads - especially in the country. The speed limits of the old 2-lanes are more in keeping with what these cars were designed to tackle when they were new. There were no 4/6-lane interstates in 1950!
            Carry the spare water pump, fuel pump, belt and some gasket-maker sealant along with enough tools to handle changing those items. Check ALL the fluid/lubricant levels before you start out. Ask if the car has been throughly greased of late. If not, have that done at some garage before you head out.
            Take a journal & cameras along to record your adventure and then write about it so we all can share when you're done!

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The car is located on Long Island. OkieBob

Comment

Drive your studebaker however beware and use common sense I do this all the time get a car and drive it home. Go to a lubeplac jiffy lube, al tune and lube etc... have the oil in the rear end checked, have the front end greased and change the oil. remove the pulgs and put in new ones. inspect the wires and fil the radiator and let tgh car run 1/2 hour before moving it. If it stands up and dosen't leak or miss you are good to go.Take plenty onf breaks an old car needs it. Dont push it, when something goes wrong stop right away, pay attention to smells and watch those gauges, good luck!
                Studebakers forever!

Comment

Hi guys, I finally got the tag issue taken care of, (well my wife did anyway). So we are flying into La Guardia Saturday April the 9th, and will be leaving Long Island about 5:00 P.M., (this scares the he -double hockey sticks out of me). Were going to saunter through Penn. and down to the Skyline Drive, then the Blue Ridge Parkway on through the Great Smokey Mountians, across Tenn, Ark, and hopefully back to good ole Dale, Okla. Just wanted to thank ya'll for all the help you've given me. I hope to meet at least some of you in my travels in the Studebaker. I will be retiring in Jan. 06, so I should have time to make some of the swap meets , and other get togethers. Wish me luck and maybe say a prayer for getting out of New York. Later, OkieBob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okiebob

Hi guys, I finally got the tag issue taken care of, (well my wife did anyway). So we are flying into La Guardia Saturday April the 9th, and will be leaving Long Island about 5:00 P.M., (this scares the he -double hockey sticks out of me). Were going to saunter through Penn. and down to the Skyline Drive, then the Blue Ridge Parkway on through the Great Smokey Mountians, across Tenn, Ark, and hopefully back to good ole Dale, Okla. Just wanted to thank ya'll for all the help you've given me. I hope to meet at least some of you in my travels in the Studebaker. I will be retiring in Jan. 06, so I should have time to make some of the swap meets , and other get togethers. Wish me luck and maybe say a prayer for getting out of New York. Later, OkieBob
                    We're with ya Bob! Oh, and we'll be expecting a full report of the nice easy trip that you had.

I just got back from Long Island yesterday, and all I can say is it sucks, get out of there no earlier than 9:30 AM and no later than 11:00 AM.

**(Oops, a little editing, I see you're getting there aboout rush hour. I would highly recommend waiting for the end of rush hour, you might ask someone when that is. The bridge traffic is horrific enough already. Also, after 10 PM on LI they close the interstate down for work and detour you through a hundred little stops and go intersections, all at 30 mph, parallel to the interstate.)**

The roads are horrible around NY City, (during the day, the roads on LI are pretty good, just re-doing the interstate), and you'll be crossing the Throgs Neck and George Washington bridges. Bring cash for them and all the toll roads in NY, PA and NJ, it's disgusting.....

Good luck, God speed, enjoy!

Sonny
                    Sonny
                    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Test
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Well, good luck to you, Okiebob! You haven't said, but I hope you're taking the few spares and other precautions we've recommended. DO keep us informed or at least tell us all about the adventure after you ease into Dale. We'll be waiting![]

Miscreant at large.
                        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OkieBob, I'm in Perkins, OK.

Glad you got the "tag" issue settled!s It's not rocket science, but it does get complicated from state to state. We are all hoping you know what you are doing! <G>

I'm way near the end of your trip, but if I can help, let me know!
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Sonny, We will be arriving at La Guardia at approx. 3:00 P.M. Sat. in your opinion would we be better off getting a room and leaving Sunday morning, or go ahead and leave after we pick up the car. I guess I'm worried more about the traffic than anything else. Sam, that I'm buying the car from seems to think I should'n have too much of a problem Sat. evening. If we decide to spend the night, any suggestions where. Thanks, OkieBob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by okiebob

Sonny, We will be arriving at La Guardia at approx. 3:00 P.M. Sat. in your opinion would we be better off getting a room and leaving Sunday morning, or go ahead and leave after we pick up the car. I guess I'm worried more about the traffic than anything else. Sam, that I'm buying the car from seems to think I should'n have too much of a problem Sat. evening. If we decide to spend the night, any suggestions where. Thanks, OkieBob
                              Sonny
                              http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X