This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch release bearing

I need a clutch release bearing for a late model V-8 Studebaker to adapt and use in my 5-speed transmission swap. Is this item one that I might pick up at my local NAPA or other auto parts store with the right part number {maybe some brand X car uses the same}? When I ask for a Studebaker part they just kinda look at me funny. dclewallen

Darryl C. Lewallen

What's the diameter of the tranny input snout?[?]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

You can get the release bearing at NAPA. On the 5-speed however, the retainer bearing cover where it covers the input shaft has a smaller diameter. So the bearing insert will have to be fitted with some sort of a bushing. I turned down a bronze bushing and press fitted it into the release bearing insert. I did this on my 64 R2 with a 5speed Tremec trans.

Nimesh Solanki

1963 R3 Avanti B103
      1963 R3 Avanti B130
      1964 R2 Avanti 5545
      1963 R2 Avanti 3493
      1962 GT 4spd,3.73TT
      1 Dyno tested R2 Engine on stand
      1 Dyno tested R3 Engine on stand

Comment

Nemish, what are the dyno results of the R2 and R3 motors you have?

53commander HDTP
        53 Champion HDTP
        64 Champ long bed V8
        64 GT
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Nimesh, You wouldn't happen to have a part number I could use would you {or is that what the numbers after your list of vehicles are}? I work in a machine shop so making the bushing won't be a problem. Thank you.

Darryl C. Lewallen
          Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

Darryl, Nemish lives in Georgia, like you. He's doing Stude heads up for maximum performance. Let me say to anyone that wants to extract more power from their Stude V8. ALL you need to focus on is enhancing the breathing. And Nemish is one of 2 or 3 people in this Stude universe who knows what's best as far as making Stude heads work in optimum form.
            I'm going to be having a set of heads done by Nemish once his backlog clears a bit.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Darryl, I do have a part number on the release bearing. I will get that to you as soon as I head to my shop down south on friday.

Kerry, I do have dyno results on both the R2 and R3 engines that I have on stands. I actually have before and after results on the R2 engine and it is quite impressive. I do not have a before result on the R3, since it is a Solanki R3 and not a Granetelli R3. I fabricated everything on it and looks just like a real R3 with my R3 big port heads and everything. It is a bit over 496HP at 5400RPM. I have the dyno graph, but I don't remember any specific results off hand. I will have to look at my graph.

Nimesh

Comment

Nimesh, Where are you located in Ga. I'm up here in Clarkesville. Thanks for the help.

Darryl C. Lewallen
                Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

I am in Duluth GA on I85. One of my R3's is here, the rest of my stuff is further south.

Nimesh

Comment

Working...
                  X